News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Two New Rods, Two Extremes

Started by Wildfisher, September 08, 2009, 08:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I bought 2 new rods this week. Well, I hadn?t bought a rod for a week or so and was starting  to suffer obvious withdrawal symptoms  :craz2. No 600 quid Sages this time, quite the reverse in fact ? two very cheap (new) rods off Ebay.

First was a 9 foot #8/9  Flextech (4pc), primarily  for pike fly fishing and maybe salt water. I am intending extending my season this year well into winter and will also use it for salmon on the middle to upper Don  where a double hander is a complete overkill.  Got it for ?35. A reasonably fast, tippy  rod that even I can use to chuck out pretty much all of a Pitsford Pirate #9 WF floater.- Pirate?s lines are a very generous  30 metres BTW.   To be honest at these lengths an #8 line might  be better as the rod starts to sag a bit. I?ll never be chucking budgies those distances when actually fishing of course. OK, it?s no Sage, but remarkable for the money. Not used in anger yet, but I?ll let you know how it goes. The build looks fine considering the price.

Next was a 7 foot #3 weight Fladen (3pc). I wanted a very short, light rod for fishing those burns I love so much. It cost about ?20. Tested  on grass with a (yes you guessed it) #3 Pirate DT floater. It seems to be mid to tip action and loads fine at short range, what you want on wee burns I suppose. Again I?ll let you know  how it goes when I try it out for real, but it seems fine and like the Flextech astounding for the money paid.

The Flextech comes in a good quality, (Sage-like) hard tube. The Fladen in a  terrible, cheap plastic  bag ? but hey it  was only 20 quid and I have a spare tube anyway!!!

Pirate?s new range of floating lines are, as ever, excellent. At 15 quid inc P+P + two braided loops   :shock: you really can?t go wrong.

scotty9

Fred - Alan was singing the praises of a Fladen vantage the other week at the casting club.

Piscatus - my brother has the profil reel, it actually has 3 cartridges!  :shock: Cartridge system is pretty cool. Here comes the warnings though, the spool has a bit of play in it when on the reel, nothing to cause problems though. The drag works but the knob is terrible, micro adjustments are difficult, it's either on or aff! The knob can also easily be knocked which flicks the drag off. Apart from that, and it's a bit on the heavy side, it's pretty good for ?30!

superscot

I also have a few Flextec rods as in 3 ...Most used is the Wilderness Fly Travel 9foot rod rated 6/7 and have subdued 12lb coho salmon on it great value for money and as Fred says comes with a cracking tube included ....also have the  Flextec Trout Rod - CRX88 10' aftm 6/7 along with Flextec Trout Rod - CDX66 9' aftm 5/6...all from ebay and the most I think i paid was ?48 or so for the CDX66 At the time

http://www.flextec.co.uk/rods.asp?ID=26&Range=4&Type=3#

cheers

paulr

I received the 8ft 4wt vantage in the post today, the bag is terrible but I can't really complain at ?17!

scotty9

Quote from: paulr on September 08, 2009, 09:08:27 PM
I received the 8ft 4wt vantage in the post today, the bag is terrible but I can't really complain at ?17!

Paul where did you buy it? Was actually looking into this for my odd river adventure...

paulr

Here you go Scott:

http://www.marinemegastore.com/category-Fly-and-Trout-Rods-FSHEOD004.htm

It's certainly no frills but for the money you can't really go wrong.

I think I'm the opposite of a tackle tart-I seek out the cheapest possible gear which still does the job.I've never spent more than ?50 on a rod or reel.

What's the name for that again?..oh yeah..... a tightarse... :8)

scotty9

Thanks, think i'll get one. Can't beat that in terms of value, already got a 4wt line that was bought by accident! :D

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

3 weight

I have been using the fladen in a #3 for most of the season, it's a wee bit rough around the edges but it is honestly one of the best practical fishing tools I own. I find it loads perfectly with only tiny lengths of a #3 line, it also casts a lot further than a small rod would ever have to. Fantastic value for money.

lnelson20

Quote from: col on September 08, 2009, 10:08:55 PM
Ive tried the Shakey odyssey 8ft 6" one PA has and i was really impressed, very nice to cast and very well finished i was really surprised at it's price , they also do a 7ft 3/4 , i think i'll get one for my son  :wink:, but i know i'll be borrowing it for the wee burns time and time again.

Col
It also comes in a excellent tube.
c.nelson

Go To Front Page