News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

8' 3wt rod - any suggestions

Started by Ptinid, March 01, 2010, 09:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptinid

I'd like to go down a bit from my trusty old 5wt rods for the smaller streams I fish (and a few I intend to fish).

Wondered if anybody had any suggestions. I don't want to drop much below 8' (I have a fibatube 6' that is a pure b*****d to cast), and will be fishing DT line, with small (often very small) flies on. Prefer mid action  - definately not fast!

Any ideas, guys?
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

aweman

I purchased an 7ft 3 piece Fladen Vantage AFTM 3 for ?20.00 from Tackle Discounts. It has middle to tip action I have not fished with it yet but am looking forward to catching fish with it
At the casting club on Sunday Malcolm was able to cast 50ft + with an 4 line , Gasman and Alan had a cast but they weren't impressed.

hope this is of some help to you.

Malc

Fluffflinger

Don't know your budget but if it's small rivers and short overhead and roll casting mainly then you can't beat an Orvis Superfine, rods were modelled on the action of split cane.  All models are mid thru full flex. Really let you scale down your tippet with confidence.

Well worth a look if you are close to a dealer.  Ask them to get you a demo rod to try if they don't have one.

Regards

Richard

Malcolm

Quote from: Ptinid on March 01, 2010, 09:32:19 PM
I'd like to go down a bit from my trusty old 5wt rods for the smaller streams I fish (and a few I intend to fish).

Wondered if anybody had any suggestions. I don't want to drop much below 8' (I have a fibatube 6' that is a pure b*****d to cast), and will be fishing DT line, with small (often very small) flies on. Prefer mid action  - definately not fast!

Any ideas, guys?

Is that a glass or carbon fibatube? I know Hardys did a very light 6ft carbon rod about 20 years ago but only sold it in the States. I had a try of one on the Wiltshire Avon and thought it was great but not the best rod for that river.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

sandyborthwick

IMHO Ptinid the Fladen is pretty good and at an amazing price.

Bought one on a whim last season to try out, works a lot better than other far more expensive rods in this category.

Wished I'd come across it before spending lots on other brands, it's now my weapon of choice for small rivers and streams.

Sandy B.O.   

Ptinid

Thanks to all. SWMBO will vett the cash-flow situation, but the fladen sounds like it may be worth a go. I'll check out the Hardy as well.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

Go To Front Page