News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Any idea what make this old cane rod is?

Started by brian, January 25, 2011, 07:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian

Wandered if you guys might know the make of this old rod? the writing has worn of and the bag is in bad shape too.

cheers

brian.

[attachimg=1]

bushy palmer

I'm going to watch this with interest as I have the same rod out in my garage.

Also I'm off tomorrow afternoon so will report back if I find any markings.

Wildfisher

These spigot ferrules  are pretty distinctive, only found on good rods way back then. I'd go with Hardy same as Davy.

Highlander

They are lockfast spigot ferules . Hardy did use them but not exclusively. Rod is not a Hardy by the look of it but certainly from a good maker. If it were from Hardy there would be a stamp on the reel fitting somewhere. Doubt it is a Salmon rod as it is not a double hander. The half wells handle was usually on smaller rods but the length has not been mentioned. My guess would be a Sea Trout rod & maker could well be Malloch,Farlow or even Alex Martin but they would only be a guess.
Arthur Allan were at 3 West Nile Street Glasgow by the way.
Tight Lines

PS just noticed the length 10ft 6". Yes a Sea Trout rod I reckon.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on January 25, 2011, 11:41:08 PM
They are lockfast spigot ferules . Hardy did use them but not exclusively.

It's stuff like recognizing lockfast spigot ferules that makes you realize you are getting old. I clearly remember cane rods with  them in ads in T+S back in the 1960s   :lol:

bushy palmer

Quote from: admin on January 26, 2011, 11:17:18 AM
It's stuff like recognizing lockfast spigot ferules that makes you realize you are getting old. I clearly remember cane rods with  them in ads in T+S back in the 1960s   :lol:

Ahh but did the ads tell you if they were "fast action"?? :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: bushy palmer on January 26, 2011, 11:21:51 AM
Ahh but did the ads tell you if they were "fast action"?? :lol:

Back then action had not been invented and Sage was something dull folk singers droned on about along with with Parsley, Rosemary and Thyme when on holiday in Scarborough.   :lol:

muddler9

My Grandfather's trout rod has the same ferrules, and was made by Allcocks in 1918. He said it was the best rod you could get at the time. It has the same rubber button and handle shape as well as same coloured whippings.
Could well be an Allcocks.

Wildfisher

muddler9

Posted by Bushy Palmer:-

QuoteAhh but did the ads tell you if they were "fast action"?? 

They did, actually. In those days, there was a distinction between wet and dry fly rods. Rods for fishing wet had a slow 'through' action while dry rods were stiffer and more tippy, the action described as 'crisp'. There were also Combination rods which had 2 tips. Depending on which one you used, you got a different action.
Rod design was quite sophisticated in those days, given the technology and materials available at the time.

Go To Front Page