News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Light Line Glass Fibre Fly Rods

Started by Wildfisher, June 06, 2011, 02:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

A couple of alternatives come to mind. Cane - Zhu make beautiful little cane rods for around £120 including postage. I tried Buzz's one and thought it was great from short lines to much longer than anyone would want to cast on a river.

Secondly a lot of the older carbon rods are very like glass. The old Hardy Smugglers for example and my old Harrison 7ft 6 3 weight is really happy at 3 yards but will also cast a long long way.

I've used a Hardy Jet quite a lot this year. Terrible for casting into anything more than a breeze it has to be said.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Ythanjoe

Your welcome to try my Superfine 7'9" #2wt (full flex) Fred, loads well with a #4 line at short distance, with a short tippet and furled leader its great ( my Ythan rod) .... and light, no experience with glass though, that I can remember, so can't compare.
Joe

scotty9

Do glass rods have a slow recovery?

I've never cast a glass fly rod so have no real idea about them, I *assume* them to be something I'd hate though. I just don't have the patience for softer, slower rods. Although I guess that's also the reason I don't have the patience for very small stream fishing  :dunno

Wildfisher

Small stream fishing  with a stiff carbon rod is hard work Scott. Glass rods load themselves with little or no line out. You wouldn't use an axe to sharpen a pencil.  :lol:  It's just using the right tool for the job; equally I would not use a soft glass rod on a bigger river or on a windy loch.

Malcolm

Quote from: Alan on June 07, 2011, 09:49:25 AM
hey, welcome to the forum Andrew,

try a winston, they feel like their made out of chocolate :D

Yes they are light actioned but they don't flex under their own weight like glass, cane or old carbon!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Quote from: Sandfly on June 08, 2011, 01:57:12 PM
Some of the shorter rods, i.e. 7'6'' or less can have quite a fast recovery.

Davy.

Thanks Davy!

I'll need to try one out when I'm back just so I can understand more about them. I have absolutely no doubt I won't like them but it's all about the experience!  :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on June 08, 2011, 01:58:22 PM
i thought it was only the crap ones that did that? just too much uncontrolled counterflex,

It's far better. Your worm does not come flying off. Unless you want it to of course.   :lol:

Wildfisher

Get behind me Satan ......... :(

Harris Sportsmail are selling the Hardy Stream 7ft #3 - 2 Piece  for £269.00  :shock:

Oh no.............................    :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on June 10, 2011, 02:01:12 PM
well?

Be patient  laddie...........................  after today it's getting more and more likely.... see my report on today's foray when I post it later today .............. for member's eyes only of course. Sorry Jedi   :lol:

Go To Front Page