News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How long do you expect to get out your breathables

Started by alba, July 18, 2011, 05:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefromtheattic

Malcolm

I got lucky first time with my breathables and I'm still on the same pair of Orvis Guide waders that I bought in the 90s. However I only wear them more than about 10-20 times in a season as I use latex waders if I'm only out for a couple of hours in the evening.

I think there would be a market for reasonably priced waders that are made to measure. Mine has legs that are way too long for me and I'm 6ft 2. They are also extremely baggy around the middle. Quite why XL waders are made to cope with both basketball players and prop forwards and every size in between is beyond me.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Tweed

Quote from: Ardbeg on July 18, 2011, 11:00:25 PM
What kind of breeks are you wearing under the waders Andrew?

If you are wearing jeans, or the like you, will sweat like hell no matter how good the breathable material.   

Wearing light-weight quick-dry troos - usually pretty good for letting the sweaty vapours oot.  The waders seem to be reinforced in the leg, which I don't think helps any - makes them a bit heavier as well.  Probably ideal for salmon fishers driving up to their pool for the day - less so for a decent hike across the moor.

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/simms-freestone-stockingfoot-waders?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

aliferste

Quote from: davefromtheattic on July 19, 2011, 12:26:19 AM
I'm with you on the thermals, feels a bit less restrictive when clambering about on the riverbank too.

Is this more experimenting with tights?  :crap

This!

Wearing thermals under my waders has made my fishing trips so much more comfier - I was planning on getting another cheap pair of walking trousers to wear under them however decided to just wear thermals. If you need to drive to the river just stick a pair of shorts over them - if you do not need to stop at shops I just wear them driving as well.

Personally if I pay a couple of hundred quid for a pair of waders I expect 5 years before they actually die - however usually they start leaking after a season and then start being aquasured - I sent my most recent waders off to Diver Dave so expect I should get a bit more wear out of them.

In the long run people should just buy Orvis and when they leak they give you a new pair.

Wildfisher

Quote from: aliferste on July 20, 2011, 07:21:44 AM
In the long run people should just buy Orvis and when they leak they give you a new pair.

Boots were the big issue with me, they just fell to  bits  in a season. I bought Orvis boots last time, £150, not cheap but still not a mark on them.

I bought them mail order as a year and half on I'm still waiting for notification form the Orvis shop in Banchory that the Hydros mid flex 4 weights are in stock.  :roll:

kemp355

My current pair of airflow's x stream are holding up OK a hole season crawling about the river. They are XL a lot of room to move around in so as not to stress the seams. They get treat reasonable well dried and hung up now and again.I am thankful for the double leg design came a cropper on a old piece of barbed wire just put a few small holes in the outer

bluezulu

i have simms- second set. inherited a pair from my father  and when they finally succumbed after 12 years replaced them. hideously expensive but this second lot have lasted me for 7 years now and still no holes. admittedly i don't get anything like as much time out and about in my waders as i'd like  :?   but still i walk long distances in them...15km a day regularly- and they hold up well and i find they 'breathe' well even in hot weather. for me anyway its one rare instance where the extra cost seems to have resulted in better quality

Go To Front Page