News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What is the ideal rod for wild trout fishing?

Started by Wildfisher, September 26, 2005, 11:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

What is your  idea of  the  ideal  rod(s)  for wild trout fishing? There might be a sinister  motive in asking this.   You  can have more than one.

Length,  number of pieces, line weight(s), action (through, tip etc), speed, stiffness etc ….. you get the picture.

Having been brought up on softish rods, I am definitely  moving towards stiffer, faster action rods now. In my opinion they make line control easier and throw a longer line with less effort. I suppose my ideal rod would be a mid to tip action, stiffish and reasonably fast, line weight 5 or 6,   3 or better,  4 piece.

Pearly Invicta

For the Lochs I use a Bruce and Walker Powerlite 7wt 9' 3" that I picked up cheap a couple of years ago- its light and stiff and (when I remember not to try to work it too hard) it throws a line with little effort.

For wee rivers I use a Hardy Graphite 8' 6" with a wee Hardy JLH Ultralite reel. The rod is so soft as to almost be floppy but the outfit is just so damned NICE to use that I love it.

lnelson20

Find my grey's 10' four piece[5 at the moment :lol: ]6/7 very forgiving,but obviously not everyone's cup of tea,with a lot of the lad's prefering lighter lines :D
All the best
Chris.
c.nelson

Harpo

Hi folks,

I only started fly fishing in May this year, so not much experience. I was using my Dad's old glass fibre rod for a few months which was an absolute killer on the arm. After catching a couple of wild brownies in Loch Laggan near Dornoch in July I decided i loved this fly fishing game. I went to my local tackle shop in Edinburgh and whilst bemused by the amount of rods avaialble at various prices I was advised towards a Sharpe's Of Aberdeen "The Gordon" rod 9' 6", 7 weight. I've been out using it in anger today and it was an absolute dream to cast with, managed to bag 4 Rainbows, can't wait to get up North again next summer for more wild brownies !

Wildfisher

Davy,

What make is your 7? hollow glass. I have an old 6 weight  milbro trufly 7?  ?dry fly special?  from the ?60s

Must resurrect it next season!

Alastair

I think it all depends of the type of water you fish.  I like to fish small creeks (translation - "wee burns") where I don't have to cast very far at all.  In fact I often hide behind a boulder and dap the fly - no casting at all!!!

I use two rods for all my small creek fishing, a 7', 3-wt St. Croix Imperial and an 8' 0-wt Sage SPL.  Both get matched up with an Islander IR-1 reel and they're heaven to fish with.

Davie72

Pretty new to this forum and all the advice looks A1 can anyone give me an opinion on the sharpes of Aberdeen range

Dunkeld

Folks

I am looking to 'lighten up' and go for 5/6 approach. My current rods are all 7 upwards but I want a nicer tool for the wildies this season. Have done my usual digging and am about to smash open the piggy bank (sometime in Feb). Looks like the Vision 10ft already mentioned here or perhaps the Sharp but there are also some good offers on the Daiwa Wilderness rods about....see indecision?? I like the length of the Vision, the weight/quality of the Sharp but don't know much about the Wilderness.

I will be doing Sutherland + some of the lochs you guys have brought to my attention this season so would value your thoughts.

Tight lines - not long to go now

Dunkeld

Thank you Jedi

Quality was one issue I was concerned about. It's my birthday next week so the Piggy may have a few more ??'s in it (sad when your 48 I know!!)

Look forward to hearing your report.

Cheers

Wildfisher

QuoteHaddo is frozer over with 2" thick ice , so thats a no go this weekend  

Jim, your are an Angus man for Christ’s sake, get oot there!!!  :lol:

QuoteMaybe some of the idle rich (Fred) will go over and have a cast and let us know how he got on.

idle, yes, rich no  :lol:

Go To Front Page