News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What is the ideal rod for wild trout fishing?

Started by Wildfisher, September 26, 2005, 11:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunkeld

Thanks guys

I don't expect anyone to die of hypothermia! Althgough us West Coast men would be out there nae bother.

I look forward to any info. Will be buying towards the end of Feb.

Cheers

Fierybroon

I use a 10 foot #7 for the larger waters(just a beginner)I also have a
7 1/2 foot #3/4 for the sma burns.The 10 foot is a wychwood HLS Extremis and the smaller a wychwood Trueflex.Very happy with both.

shanksi

Am a relative newcomer to fly fishing and I have the Gordon 9'6" 7# rod and have enjoyed using it.  The rod I mostly use is a Bloke 9' 6# rod which is an absolute dream to cast and is so light you feel you could cast all day with it.  Zeolite had a try of it on the River earn.  The main problem I had was finding a reel to balance it and have been using an Okuma airframe 4/6 reel.
Enjoying the forum and picking up tips from the experienced folk here.

Ian

Dunkeld

I'm building up the info guys. I was almost there and then Sharpes go and bring out a 10ft 6wt - I must admit I'm a sucker for the longer rods because of the Dibbling (another age related complaint!)

I will hold off for a week or two but the shortlist is:

Vision Zone 3 10ft 5wt
Barrio 9ft 5wt (length maybe a drawback from a boat....)
Sharpes Gordon 10ft 6wt

Forget Sage cos of cost and waines up chimneys and Orvis cos I have a Western which works well but basically fell to bits - chipped varnish, cracks on whipping, butt thing fell off - plus the guys in the Stockbridge shop were the most arrogant *****g persons I have ever come across in my puff.

The race is on

Goods news is Sutherland booked from 3rd to 10th June!

Fishtales

Get a three or a four piece if you can. The two piece is alright as long as you are just going to carry it in. If you are going to strap it too, or carry it inside a rucksack then the shorter length and putting it in a length of capped drain pipe makes it easier and safer.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Dunkeld

Thanks Fishtales

I was thinking 3 piece minimum. I don't fear the multi-sectioned approach, I have a great wee 6 piece Shakespeare Arial which can (and has) fit into my briefcase!! It's weakness is that although rated 6/7 it needs an 8 to work.

On the issue of 'hideable' rods - my wee brother bought me a 4 piece 6'6 Ugly Stick at Christmas - you could practically put it in an inside pocket - I always like a wee spinning option if there is a chance of bigger boys around ever since I witnessed the catching of a cracker at Loch Ba on a 'burner's nozzle' (see purism!). I know it is also a good option on the Gaur in early season. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Cheers

Dunkeld

I will have a throw across there, my brother did that. The wee area is OK but last time I was there it was dug up, this may be temporary. Also they only do the Sharpe's and don't have the 10ft 6wt yet. Am I correct in thinking this is a very new model?

ten boaber

I am also thinking of buying new gear
Problem is I don't know of anywhere local to try rods :(
Am I correct in assuming Sage 4 piece travel rod and
Orvis Clearwater Classic 4 piece are good rods and it will be down
to personal preference :?
Also any one heard of Ron Thomson rods

Pearly Invicta

I've got a Ron Thomson spinning rod which gets mightily abused on holidays and stuff, especially by my son. Cheap and cheerful and does the job solidly enough.

Wildfisher

When I was a lad, the “cheap and cheerful never be seen dead with”  gear was Diawa.

Like Hovis, it was as good then as it is now. There is  lot of snobbery attached to fishing gear as there is to everything else. Having seen the problems some are having with Vision rods I would not recommend them to anyone, even although mine has been OK. Quality gear is  pleasure to use and own, however you don’t always get what you pay for. I have heard that some of that Ron Thomson gear is damned good although I have never owned it myself.  There is a real market for a good, mid priced 5 or 6 pc. medium action  10’ #5 rod.  Think I might design one myself.

Go To Front Page