News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What is the ideal rod for wild trout fishing?

Started by Wildfisher, September 26, 2005, 11:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V-4

I've owned my Ron Thompsom 'Axellerator' 10 ft. 7 weight for about 3 years now.
It's a reliable rod, nicely finished and capable of putting a decent sort of line out - but - if you use it all day it becomes 'tiring' and, as a consequence, my casting suffers.
I think it's just the action that requires a lot of effort putting into it that makes it tiring.
I took my Gatti out for its first outing on our local reservoir and it was a breath of fresh air. I wouldn't say it was putting out a much longer line than the Axellerator but it was so much easier. I was only out for a couple of hours but felt like I could have cast all day without feeling any sort of fatigue.
It really is a case of try before you buy. Try visiting a few stockie-bashing venues and ask to try some rods either in the shop or off the customers - everyone will have a different opinion but in the end it's you who'll decide what feels 'right'.

Good luck.

Regards, Tim

Dunkeld

Cheers Blackwitch

Where did you see a Gatti for just over ?100, I have never clocked eyes on one for less than ?250, in fact the 10ft 5wt was closer to ?400.

As to Ron Thomson stuff - I would take the spinning rods no problem but the fly rods are heavy and thick, I can understand how they would be tiring to use - I have an old Milbro Grampian (cost me ?8.50 in 1982) and it is built along the same lines but it has an excuse cos its fglass!

Tight lines

Wildfisher

Quote from: Dunkeld
As to Ron Thomson ...............the fly rods are heavy and thick

Sounds like   there could be a place  for Thomson in  the Aberdeen forward line.  :lol:

Dunkeld

Perhaps betterat 'Fly' Half javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

beaniboy67

i use a sage xp 9ft 6 inch#6 (4 piece) for browns and bows.Its not as tippy as some of the rods in the xp range but its a diamond of a rod and is reasonably easy to cast.

The critics say you have to be a perfect caster to use this rod but i strongly disagree as im no mean caster and friends who are less able than me  say it defo improves there casting.

It works well at close range and can fire a good line out too and from the boat it handles no problem. The rod takes any density of line with ease aswell.

i just recently also bought a sage vps 9 foot # 5 (4 piece)This rod is exactly the same blank as as the old RPL the only difference being the whippings and is again more middle than the Xp.The rod was on sale and so far its been great the couple of times i used it.

I bought this rod as all rounder for browns and for dry flys from the boat.Its going to probably be my main brownie rod forever more and hopefully it wll do all i ask of it.

Dunkeld

The 9ft sounds good but I still have this tussle with length for the 'dibble' - I have an 11'3 Century Grilse which is brilliant for this but ott for wildies. Also the Sage is a wad too far, the guts of ?400 in the UK but $300 Dollars in the States - talk about Rip-Off Britain! I really don't mind paying money for quality but hate that warm damp feeling on my shoes when dealing with some makers.

Tight lines

beaniboy67

Quote from: DunkeldThe 9ft sounds good but I still have this tussle with length for the 'dibble' - I have an 11'3 Century Grilse which is brilliant for this but ott for wildies. Also the Sage is a wad too far, the guts of ?400 in the UK but $300 Dollars in the States - talk about Rip-Off Britain! I really don't mind paying money for quality but hate that warm damp feeling on my shoes when dealing with some makers.

Tight lines

i bought the sage vps from foxons in wales at ?195 (half price) only a month ago.The vps is exactly the same rod as the Rpl  with no difference watsoever as it uses the same blank and rings, seat and cork.Its funny when second hand rpl's are selling on ebay for 200 quid in the 2/3 piece range with no warranty and ppl are goin mad trying to get them.Little do they know they could get a brand new vps with warranty for the same price.

In the states right now the vps rods are going at 30 %off which is actually more expensive than what i paid when considering delivery.

When sage discontnued the RPL years ago ppl were up in arms so they re packaged it and gave us the VPS.They have now discontinued that aswell.

I would say its better than an Xp as its slightly more forgiving and more of a real fishing rod.Stan Headly swears by the RPl/VPS as does about every other angler wo has used one.

Not really too bad for ?195 quid and even better if you fancy a 2 piece as they are ?155 right now on the half price sale.

i do agree with the price comment tho as its a definate rip off.Then again they do  feel better than loomis rods and i havent used any other rod that comes close to feel or quality of finish that is cheaper.

cheers

Dunkeld

Thanks for that - just had a look at Foxons site, some great offers and worth a look.

I was nearly there now I'm suffering from indecision again - I'll probably end up getting the old Milbro Ghillie out again (eBay for ?7.00 and its perfect)

Tight lines

Fierybroon

The ideal troot rod is simple.Its the rod you feel comfortable using, its the rod you have confidence in using.Its your own personnal choice/opinion.

beaniboy67

i agree that being comfterable and getting the flies where you want them to be is what matters.

i think a 10 foot #5 is best from a boat and a 9 foot number 7 is best from the bank.I opt for a 9 foot 6inch #6 as its inbetween and a good alrounder.

Regards the 9 foot #5 i just bought. I'm really gonna try and use it as much as i can as wee fish are far better sport on the lighter tackle.it will also lie in the boat wih dries on it at all times.

Go To Front Page