News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What flies?

Started by Traditionalist, October 03, 2011, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishtales

Quote from: Dobber on October 05, 2011, 06:51:03 PM

Two good flies only will catch most of the fish most of the time but not all the fish all the time.

ali

Doesn't that come down to your expectations then? You go expecting to catch all the fish you see or cover and feel that you have failed if you don't? I go to enjoy the day, the fishing is important, or I wouldn't go, but the deception of the fish is just as exciting as the catching. Seeing the rise to the fly or the movement towards it means that I have done something to arouse its interest. If it misses the surface fly it may take the wet on the way down or the nymph on the tail. The feeling of weight as it takes the fly in its mouth and instantly releases it before you have time to set the hook is just as important to me as the actual catch. I don't have to rely on the fish to feed myself, if I did I would use a net or dynamite or every fly I could lay my hands on :) Catching is only a small part of my fishing, there is far too much going on around me that I enjoy for it to be my one and only quest. I go to enjoy myself and not to change flies all day and berate myself because I go away empty handed.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

haresear

Quote from: fishtales on October 05, 2011, 07:42:53 PM
Doesn't that come down to your expectations then? You go expecting to catch all the fish you see or cover and feel that you have failed if you don't? I go to enjoy the day, the fishing is important, or I wouldn't go, but the deception of the fish is just as exciting as the catching. Seeing the rise to the fly or the movement towards it means that I have done something to arouse its interest. If it misses the surface fly it may take the wet on the way down or the nymph on the tail. The feeling of weight as it takes the fly in its mouth and instantly releases it before you have time to set the hook is just as important to me as the actual catch. I don't have to rely on the fish to feed myself, if I did I would use a net or dynamite or every fly I could lay my hands on :) Catching is only a small part of my fishing, there is far too much going on around me that I enjoy for it to be my one and only quest. I go to enjoy myself and not to change flies all day and berate myself because I go away empty handed.

If I see a big fish rising, quite frankly I want to catch it, or at least get it to take :) I know I won't catch them all, but I do like trying.

That doesn't mean I don't have a wee nap in the (rare) sunshine or fail to appreciate my surroundings, but I'm there primarily to fish, hopefully successfully and that is why I like to have the proper tools for the job. That includes flies and I so rest my case :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I had an incredibly frustrating afternoon on The Don in May during one of the all too rare rises  last  spring. The fish would look at sod all, not even the wee fish. I did get one on a huge Humpy but that was just a random fluke and an act of desperation on my part. I went home and tied up some loop wing emergers from a Davie MacPhail video on Youtube.   a fly I had NEVER used before. These sit right down in the film and are a bugger to see. I ended up catching fish on these in similar situations on subsequent visits. I have  to also say that over the years I have found trout on lowland rivers like the Don, Deveron and in my limited experience of  the  Clyde, Tweed etc far pickier than loch trout.

Fishtales

Alex

I would also cast to and be happy to catch that big fish. I just wouldn't spend most of my time trying. I would move on, like buses there will always be another one along at any minute. Casting and changing flies over and over and getting ever more frustrated isn't enjoyment to me. I could pass that way again and the same big fish could take my flies first go, such are the vagaries of fishing :) That is what you enjoy and I commend you on your diligence and patience, it just isn't my idea of fun.

Fred

If you had those flies on the frustrating day and they didn't catch you would still be looking for the next best fly to try. It is difficult to compare one day with another and say all the conditions were the same, alike perhaps but rarely the same.

I have fished the Clyde on and off for a number of years. My mate, who taught me how to fly fish and tie flies, was brought up on down and across using the old Clyde style patterns, I just used what I had. We both caught fish in all conditions and at all times of day and night. My most successful pattern was my shrimp pattern no matter what was hatching at the time. I have no idea why. I wouldn't hesitate to try it again but my HillLoch nymph works just as well so why should I change. I have no idea why that one works either.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Quote from: fishtales on October 05, 2011, 08:49:06 PM
Fred
If you had those flies on the frustrating day and they didn't catch you would still be looking for the next best fly to try. It is difficult to compare one day with another and say all the conditions were the same, alike perhaps but rarely the same.

That's very true. However I suspect my experience was similar to that of Alex and had I had these emergers or Stu Tripney's pogo nymph or been able to fish a spider or a drowned dry at the right depth I might have caught something that day. The point is not the individual experience more leaving your options open. My guess is if I only had a box of sedghogs I would have been unsuccessful on very many more days than that. Like  last Saturday for example.  :lol:

Go To Front Page