News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Mole

Started by Traditionalist, October 25, 2011, 03:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

Mole

This is a natural mole skin. The loose fur is a dark blue dun, as shown in the small photo.

This fur is unusual in that it is unidirectional. Most animal fur grows with a "set" or "Grain". This unidirectional fur on the mole prevents the animal getting stuck in its subterranean burrows.One of the most useful furs available for spiders. Is often used as a substitute for Water Rat, and other animal furs. It may also be, and often was, blended with other furs to achieve certain effects, or be a better substitute. I also have a range of dyed mole skins. Black, Claret, Dark Olive, and I have seen some nice skins which have been treated with picric acid to give a really lovely olive shade. Unfortunately I don´t have a such a skin. I have not used Picric acid for a long time now. Some firms also offer bleached and dyed mole in a range of colours .It is a very soft short fibred fur, and is similar to the underfur on many other animals. It may also be used to "soften" hard dubbing. There is some controversy as to whether this fur may be considered guard hair or underfur! I consider it underfur, as that is how it is used.

Go To Front Page