News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wolf

Started by Traditionalist, October 25, 2011, 11:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

The picture  is of an Arctic Timber Wolf. Photo by kind permission of Peter Palms; Not widely used, and not mentioned in any patterns I am aware of, but useful for quite a few things. There are also several sorts of wolf, and the fur varies considerably. Pieces of pelt are available from various placess on occasion , and some articles made of various Wolf fur may be found in various places. Fur quality and colour varies widely according to species, habitat, time of year culled etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_wolf

The longer fur is excellent for streamers, and most wolves, especially when in their winter coats also have thick soft underfur which makes perfect dubbing.

The piece shown below is from the back of a Siberian wolf, shot in summer, which a Russian guy sent me. It is interesting because it has a very natural olive tinge which I have never seen in a fur before. A brown olive dun. Very useful. Unfortunately the piece I have here is too coarse for small wet fly hackles, but makes good tails and wings, and the underfur is first class olive/brown/dun dubbing. The only naturally olive coloured dubbing I have. I am assured that this piece of fur has not been treated in any way, that is the natural colour.Here again, you will have to be lucky to find a piece like this.

Go To Front Page