News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Moser Minicons

Started by Wildfisher, December 29, 2011, 09:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I have yet to find a method of fixing leader to fly line I'm happy with and I have tried them all. Nail / needle knot is OK, but is a real pain at the waterside with cold hands. Standard braided loops are bulky but the loop to loop idea is good, especially if you make a perfection loop and slim it down  Oliver Edwards style. I've tried looping back the line core, whipping it and sealing it. Good but a pain to  do and the line eventually cracks.

Taking a leaf out of Oliver Edwards book I have bought some of these Moser Minicons he goes on about. The "trout" size. The first thing  you notice  is how tiny they are.

[attachimg=1]

The next thing is the build quality. Double walled braid so the line is easily inserted without fraying the braid. You slip the sleeve down, spot of glue at the the braid - sleeve junction and away you go. All very neat. Edwards uses the red sleeve as an indicator. We shall see.

Like all things Moser they cost a packet.  £6 for a pack of 5 although Roman throws in a free nail and instructions.

I'll let you know  how they go.

I know Sandfly uses them and likes them. Does anyone else?

Fishtales

I make mine from airflo braided backing too. I've been using them for goodness knows how many years, twenty perhaps? :) Be aware though that after extended use and exposure to the air and water they tend to harden enough for the chinese finger effect to stop working and they come flying off the line either on the backcast or forward cast. I've lost two or three casts over the years due to not checking them :) Obviously I don't glue or whip the end onto the line and just pull the clear plastic sleeve up and just over the end so the frayed ends are covered. I like them, a lot of people despise them with a vengeance though  :shock:
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Gola

Hi, I've used these on lines up to size 6 for quite a number of years, and find them excellent. As a matter of fact I dont use super glue but depend upon friction, and to date have never had one come off.

Traditionalist

I make my own, it's easy to do and only takes a few seconds. Just get some decent braided line and a large needle or you can use a bobbin threader.  Thread the braid through the needle eye, feed the needle up through the side of the braid, form a loop the right size,  Pull tight and remove the needle.  Cut to the length you want.  Feed the fly-line into the braid. Now place an "empty" nail knot over the line using the bobbin threader.If you use red braid it is also an indicator.

I will try to do a sequence of photos for you.

Had a look around and found some instructions  and a video;

http://www.danblanton.com/gettinglooped.html

Braided loops and attatching them to the flyline

You can also use heat shrink tubing instead of a nail knot.  

TL
MC

east wind

I've used them, they were fine. Then i started using fly lines with welded loops before drifting onto another set up. I would have no problem using them again.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Teither

I've been using these Moser minicons this last season, for trout and salmon lines. I've found that applying the glue to the braid/sleeve junction at the loop side only gives a really secure hold and [ so far] has prevented any line cracking or stiffness, which used to be a common problem for me.
'Twas Tom R at the GAC who told me about that. Of course, maybe that's what most folk do anyway  . ??

T

Wildfisher

Quote from: Teither on December 29, 2011, 11:32:52 PM
I've found that applying the glue to the braid/sleeve junction at the loop side only gives a really secure hold and [ so far] has prevented any line cracking or stiffness, which used to be a common problem for me.

Jim,  The ones I bought came with instructions that recommended exactly that.

Highlander

I bought them some years back & had problems. But do you know I can not remember what the problem was. Too big/too small something like it.  I will follow the thread with interest though. Like Sandy I have used braided loops for many years with no problems that I can remember, but pays to check for wear now & again.
Tight Lines

Hint: When making your own (braided backing line)  . If shop bought kits do not use the clear heat shrink to finish them off. Some of them can be quite hard & will crack your line eventually. Use Zap a Gap or something similar. Aquasure works well I am told thats if you can get an open tube that has not set. Similar with Super Glues.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Malcolm

I have ome of my lines equipped with these and had no problems. However I've justin the last week whipped on a loop of 20lb nylon. Simply a 2 inch length of nylon with both sides crushed in a pair of pliers before whipping on. Then a short length of bright orange tube slipped over the joint and a dab of superglue. It's a little bit more bulky than my favoured core stripping method but seems fine on the WF8 line.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

garryh

i have used this system for over ten years now and it has never failed me.a short length of home made braid,with the fly line pushed all the way up to where the braid is doubled over to make the loop.then whip it at both ends and super glue both whippings.i find that it is about as flexible as you can get and slides in and out the top ring no problem.another plus is that a light smear of red muclin on the braid clings to braid better than a smooth fly line and keeps the tip floating all day.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Go To Front Page