News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

7 foot or 8 foot ?

Started by Black-Don, April 06, 2012, 12:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Don

I have a really cheap 7' - 5/6 rod and am hoping to do more small river/burn fishing this year.

I'm going to get a better replacement but it must cost less than £100.  Ideally, a lot less than £100 if poss  :)

The main river I'll be fishing is the Carron at Falkirk and you generally need to wade to cast. I was inclining towards the 8' - 5/6 to give me more flexibilty if I was fishing a slightly larger river with a bit of casting space and also for smaller hill lochs . Am I trying to kill too many birds with the one stone and should I just get a 7' rod using my 9' - 7/8 for bigger rivers and lochs or is the 8' not out of the question for a wee river like the Carron. It's about half the size of the Endrick from a casting point of view and there is quite a lot of trees all along the banks.

Any suggestions on a rod ? I don't want anything too soft and it must have a nice handle with a metal reel seat.

Cheers

Donald.

Black-Don

Quote from: Alan on April 06, 2012, 12:55:52 AM
if going for the 2 rods i'd be looking at a lighter one for the carron rather than shorter, a 3 weight would scale everything down nice.

Don't know if I understand what you mean Alan, when you say a 3 wt what kind of length do you mean - 7' or 8' in that weight for the Carron and other smallish rivers ?

Quote from: BARFLY on April 06, 2012, 12:59:42 AM
Is he not asking for a reply on one rod?

I do Jim, the 7' - 5/6 I have is a Ron T sensorflex, cheap as chips and a wee bit nasty, plastic reel seat and stuff . Once I replace it I won't use it again unless I have to but will probably keep it for showing the wee one's how to fish the fly.

So, am basically looking for a kind of all round rod for small but maybe bigger ( but not the size of the Don or Clyde ) rivers and possibly a wee chuck on the odd loch or two but I don't want to end up with a quiver full of rods which was why I was thinking, use the 9' for bigger rivers/wee lochs and just get a better 7' for the Carron. Would I however get away with an 8' on the Carron ?

I know a 5/6 is probably outgunned for wee rivers and a 7/8 outgunned for larger ones by some folks standards but I'm trying to reach a happy medium.

Hope that makes sense  :? :?

Oh aye, I'll have a look at that rod you have recommended Jim - cheers.

haresear

Quotea 20quid fladen vantage 7' 3 weight is ideal for smaller rivers, little extra outlay and no fishing compromise.

The rings, fittings are crap, but at that price I have to agree. It looks like a decent choice for the Carron.

My personal choice for an all rounder - lochs, rivers would be a 9' #5. Mostly I use a #4 on the river but if jungle warfare is needed, a 7' rod is the tool. I would use a #4 or possibly a #5 line at short range with  a rod rated a #3.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

Donald,

Very short rods have their uses and I use a 7ft 6 myself but their very shortness is a disadvantage too and I'd be looking at a slightly longer rod for a single rod . The other thing to consider is that if you only have 20ft of line out of the tip ring then you are probably going to want to "line up". As it happens my boat fishing partner has just asked for my advice on for a small river rod and I pointed him at this one. I've tried this rod and I'm pretty sure it will suit him it might me suitable for you too - the SK£ series is slightly more flexible that the stiffer SK4 series.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonik-SK3-8-6ft-Fly-Rod-4-5-HALF-PRICE-OFFER-/251028198044?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item3a7272529c
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Highlander

I always tend to go for a longer rod. The Fladen is a good choice at the price as are many others though. I can not recommend one I am afraid as my wands are all older models & not available today to purchase.
Really it is down to buyers preference. Go up to GAC & have a look. The one thing about that shop that is good that you can browse the merchandise.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

east wind

Another vote for Sonik, I have the SK4, a very nice action I really enjoy using it. I'm sure the SK3 would be the same.

Would also recommend this one. It has a bit more backbone and I prefer it in a wind. They are getting harder to find though and can't see any in 7ft 6in. Is 8ft 6in too long ?

http://www.cheshirefishingtackle.co.uk/cortlandflyrods/prod_372.html
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

alba

If I'm fishing the carron it's an 8ft 4weight I use, but I never get problems casting am
Always in the water

dazdidge

I would go for the 8ft, either #4 or #5. I bought a 7ft #4 for my local river which looks about the same size as the one you are fishing and in some parts the 7ft just isn't quite long enough. I bought the Fladen 8ft #5 and I find it perfect for the river now. In a breeze or on the loch I put a #6 line on. As others have said elsewhere the Shakespeare Odyssey is also worth checking out, not much more money than the Fladen but seemingly much better quality, but a 3 piece instead of the Fladens 4 piece. I prefer the 4 piece as it obviously fits in a smaller tube and clips onto the side of my rucksack without sticking over the top.

daz

Inchlaggan

Another vote for the Fladen 7' 3 weight.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

cdju

New to this forum and would just like to say how useful I have found this discussion. I've been looking over the options regarding hikeable fly tackle and had not come across the Fladden series of rods. Given the reccommendations here and the prices it's hard to see where you could go wrong. Many thanks  :)

Go To Front Page