News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

7 foot or 8 foot ?

Started by Black-Don, April 06, 2012, 12:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Don

Quote from: Malcolm on April 06, 2012, 09:45:29 AM
Donald,

Very short rods have their uses and I use a 7ft 6 myself but their very shortness is a disadvantage too and I'd be looking at a slightly longer rod for a single rod . The other thing to consider is that if you only have 20ft of line out of the tip ring then you are probably going to want to "line up". As it happens my boat fishing partner has just asked for my advice on for a small river rod and I pointed him at this one. I've tried this rod and I'm pretty sure it will suit him it might me suitable for you too - the SK£ series is slightly more flexible that the stiffer SK4 series.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonik-SK3-8-6ft-Fly-Rod-4-5-HALF-PRICE-OFFER-/251028198044?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item3a7272529c

Thanks for all the advice, dunno whether I would use this on the Carron but the 8'6"  4/5 looks like a nice wee rod  :roll:  :)

Still can't convince myself on this one though as I would still like a nice wee 7' 4/5 for " jungle warfare " as Haresear put it which would allow me to use my current lines until I can afford better but think I would still be sticking with 4/5 lines anyway for general use.

Black-Don

I was in at GAC tonight for a look and think the 8'6" is definately the route to go down

Had a look at these rods

Greys GS2                        8'6"     5wt...............£85
Greys X-Flite                     9'         4wt...............£92  ( reduced from £180 )
Greys GRXI +                    8'6"      5wt...............£130

But am leaning heavily towards the Sonic.  Any final pearls of wisdom before I bite the bullet ?

I'll probably still go for a 7 footer at some point though mind  :roll:  :lol:

Otter Spotter

Don, try the sonik before you buy one. The action is not for everyone, particularly the SK4.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Black-Don

Any idea where I can get a butchers at one of these Glasgow / Stirling Scott ?

Malcolm

The link I put up was the SK3 which in my opinion is a much better rod than the SK4. Sonik have changed their range now which is why the older models like the SK3 are being punted at the moment. The SK4 range is too sharp for my liking.

It's not easy recommending something for someone who may fish a different style but the medium fast rods like the SK3 are fairly normal everyday rods now.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Otter Spotter

Quote from: guest on April 20, 2012, 10:23:51 AM
Any idea where I can get a butchers at one of these Glasgow / Stirling Scott ?

PM Sent
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

past caring

I am not a fan of the Fladens - I know for the price you'd think you can't go wrong, but on that assumption I bought one the other year (7' #3) only to find that the rings were out of alignment, even within the sections - the replacement was no better, so I just ended up getting my money back.

I don't think you need anything shorter than 8' if the photo in the opening post gives a fair representation of the river - it doesn't look like it's going to be too overgrown even at the height of summer, but I'd prefer to fish it with nothing heavier than a #5.

I know this is considerably more expensive than you were thinking of for your budget, but if you really do want one rod as an all-rounder, what about the Greys XF2 Streamflex in either a 4# (or 5# (if you want something a bit heavier for lochs?). Rod is 9' 6" with a 6" extension to make it into a 10'. I wondered before first fishing with it (borrowed someone else's) whether you'd really see any noticeable difference with just a 6" extension - but you do. At 10' it's great for nymphing, spiders, czech nymphs etc. and you really do feel in touch with the nymphs when czech nymphing. At 9' 6" it's a very good casting rod for either dry fly or lochs and will allow you to get decent presentation. I can't see that a 9' 6" would be too long for the river in the photo - and it would allow you to fish larger rivers too....
Oh, you wet, you weed, you mite! I will utterly tough you up!

Black-Don

Just bought the Sonik sk3  :shock:

If I don't like it I can always sell it on  :roll:

Now onto the Fladen,  :roll: I really need a 7' rod .......................  :getcoat

Black-Don

Sonik arrived today, nice wee rod but I prefer alloy reel seats. Casts well though or well enough for me anyway.

Go To Front Page