News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Outdoor Trousers

Started by Malcolm, December 11, 2012, 08:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

Malcolm

Mike,
I don't know why but ordinary cotton: like T-shirts and jeans, absorbs liquid and is reluctant to let it go. Quite why polycotton and to a lesser extent, ventile, dries so much quicker I have no idea but I assume it's something to do with the weave. What I do know is that when a lot of activity is involved - for example when hill loch fishing or hillwalking then I simply won't wear ordinary cotton and that includes moleskin, corduroy, flannel and denim. A few years back there was a series of adverts by one of the mountain rescue (or some such organisation) which included the line "cotton kills" as people got cold after activity with the dampness retained by ordinary cotton. The trousers you pointed me to look like ordinary cotton to me so while I have no doubt they are fine for low/medium activity like most fishing is I wouldn't wear them for all round wild fishing in Scotland which often involves several miles over rough country.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Traditionalist

OK.

As far as I know the trousers are mainly duratwill ( Not entirely sure but I think the blue denim coloured trousers are the same). 

http://www.active-workwear.com/acatalog/Snickers-Ultimate-Trousers-3212.html

Snickers Trousers 3212
Description:
Extremely hard-wearing work trousers made in dirt repellent DuraTwill fabric. Features an advanced cut with Twisted Leg design, Cordura reinforcements for extra durability and a range of pockets, including holster pockets and phone compartment.

Advanced cut with Twisted Leg design and Snickers Gusset in crotch for outstanding working comfort with every move

Tough Cordura reinforcements at the knees and inside the holster pockets for extra durability

Kneepad pockets designed for the KneeGuard positioning system for superior knee protection

Easy-to-access leg cargo pocket with separate mobile phone compartment and four pen/tool compartments

Smart ruler pocket design with loose front corner for improved functionality and freedom of movement

Sizes::
42-62, 84-120, 144-160, 184-204, 248-256

Material:
DuraTwill. Durable fabric: soft cotton on the inside, slightly impregnated, for better protection, on the outside. 52% Cotton 48% Polyamide, 240 g/m². Featuring 100% Cordura-Polyamide reinforcements.

The ones I have are similar ( but not identical) and I have never had any problems with them. I have gotten them wet on numerous occasions but they seem to dry quickly enough. When fishing I usually wear them with thermal "wicking" functional  underwear and have never felt damp or cold in them.  I have also used them a lot for actually working  and they are extremely hard wearing. The knee pads are great. ( You need to get the foam inserts for them).

I wont normally wear cotton next to my skin. Always makes me feel "clammy" after exertion or if it somehow otherwise gets wet.

Traditionalist

I asked my local supplier, the Denim coloured trousers are in fact Denim ( a heavier grade) so you are right, they are unsuitable. Sorry, my mistake, I thought these trousers were all duratwill.

The ultimate trousers are duratwill.

I have found them ideal and they are in fact water repellant.  They are not absolutely waterproof ( although you can use waterproofing spray and permethrin on them without any problems), I have got them wet walking through long wet grass but they dry very quickly.

Rain just pearls off usually. ( I treat mine with waterproofing spray and permethrin against ticks), but they are pretty water resistant without any treatment.

The knee pads and the ease of movement built in is a big plus for me.  I just would not manage now without knee pads.

Traditionalist

By the way, you need to look around anyway as the prices vary quite a bit.  I got my last two pairs for 70 Euros (= 35 Euros per pair) on a special offer, but that was quite a while ago now. There may be cheaper options in the UK.

http://www.snickersdirect.co.uk/snickers-workwear-3212-work-trousers-3212-snickers-p-76088.html

http://www.pittman.ie/snickers-trousers-!93-cat.html

Bobfly

For general day to day any purpose hard wearing trousers try Arco "Work King" ones. The fabric is made by Klopman at 65% polyester and 35% cotton. I have them one most days and they last very well and dry quickly too. British Heart Foundation charity shops seem to have a deal with Arco that they get in some batches of leftovers or whatever from time to time. I got two brand new pairs for £4.50 each with all the Arco and Klopman labels still attached.
Always worth a rummage in charity shops !!! Best places to get some fleecy mid layers too - per another forum thread.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Traditionalist

These "may" be OK as well, they are canvas+  which is also a synthetic/cotton mix, but I have not tried them myself;

http://www.snickersdirect.co.uk/special-offers-snickers-3214-offers-c-5166_5359.html

http://www.snickersdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=89714

Buanán

Quote from: Malcolm on December 12, 2012, 10:30:24 AM

Buanan,

I had a pair of Kestrel ventiles for about 8 years. Tremendous but with one fault - the lining clings to you if you are sweating. Otherwise great and tough as you could wish for. I did look at the Cabrach and they do a made to measure service and will put in thigh pockets for a map/ compass if you want.

Thanks for the tip, I don't like the sound of that

Go To Front Page