News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

DIY backpacking meals- Tommy Soup

Started by bushy palmer, December 10, 2013, 11:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushy palmer

Quote from: Element on December 10, 2013, 07:21:05 PM
I recall a tv program about 2yrs back where a hippy girl from Bristol made fruit leathers in her oven and after watching - I tried it myself and they were surprisingly tasty and great to eat but a bit chewy. I made them from raspberries I think..

E.

Yeah those look good. I've been putting off trying it as I feel I may end up just making those over and over instead of trying other stuff :D

Bobfly

Another type to consider is the making of biltong from beef, venison, ham and whatever and taking it to the still bendable/chewy stage. Mmmmmmmmm - - Yumpy yumble  :D :D   I suppose cold air-dried fish from the Faroes and eskimos is similar with very dry cold air.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Inchlaggan

Most vitamins survive dehydration- thus vitamin pills- there are exceptions such as alpha tocopherol (vitamin E) which is an oil.
Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) should survive at the drying temperatures previously mentioned.
Drying has long been extant as a means of preserving food (and the nutrients therein), fresh might be better but that is not the issue here.
I doubt that much will be lost in this process.

Inchlaggan- supplier of vitamin rich organic dehydrated water.
See my website (youreamug.com) for details.
Forum Members only offer- 2 pints for the price of 2 litres!
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

bushy palmer

Quote from: Bobfly on December 10, 2013, 08:32:53 PM
Another type to consider is the making of biltong from beef, venison, ham and whatever and taking it to the still bendable/chewy stage. Mmmmmmmmm - - Yumpy yumble  :D :D   I suppose cold air-dried fish from the Faroes and eskimos is similar with very dry cold air.

I hadn't heard of biltong before- having now googled it I can see that it does sound yummy! must try. :D

Harpo

Great thread Brian, some of the fancy restaurants my brother has worked in dehydrate food to intensify it before cooking again.
He made me a lobster soup like that (just made from the shells) was one of th nicest things I've eaten

bushy palmer

Quote from: Harpo on December 10, 2013, 09:47:05 PM
Great thread Brian, some of the fancy restaurants my brother has worked in dehydrate food to intensify it before cooking again.

If you have any recipes, get them fired up! My biggest problem just now is finding inspiration for what to try next to take with me on my big trip.

So far I've made chili Macaroni which was ace and Tommy soup.

Next I want to try a curry and spag bol (although most of my curries use a lot of fatty oil- have to think of a way round that)

I've dried some fruit and veg with mixed results, banana being awesome- pear tasting like shit :D

Harpo

Quote from: bushy palmer on December 10, 2013, 10:07:41 PM
If you have any recipes, get them fired up! My biggest problem just now is finding inspiration for what to try next to take with me on my big trip.

So far I've made chili Macaroni which was ace and Tommy soup.

Next I want to try a curry and spag bol (although most of my curries use a lot of fatty oil- have to think of a way round that)

I've dried some fruit and veg with mixed results, banana being awesome- pear tasting like shit :D

I'll see if my bro has any recipes. You don't need much oil for a curry, especially thai ones. Try that low cal spray oil?

Wildfisher

I think "real curries"  do use a fair bit of fat. This is just something you'd have to experiment with I suppose.

bushy palmer

Quote from: Harpo on December 10, 2013, 11:37:16 PM
I'll see if my bro has any recipes. You don't need much oil for a curry, especially thai ones. Try that low cal spray oil?

It's mainly Chinese and Indian curries I make which both use lots of oils- Chinese curries begin by flavouring oil with lots of garlic and chili before adding flour to form a paste. Indian curries of course start off life with copious amounts of ghee.

I do make a wicked lentil curry which may be ideal. I dare say I can cut down the amount of oil I use at the beginning- plus there's no meat.

Billy

Ive been doing a Thai red curry and have the remnants for my tea tonight.

I add all the ingredients and give it a blitz before frying the paste. The main liquid ingredient is coconut milk which you add after the paste is cooked.

I used seafood mix the other night but you can use anything. Not sure how the coconut milk would de-hydrate for packing but is worth a try.

Real tasty.

Billy

Go To Front Page