News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Bag,Vest,fanny pack or combination.

Started by Highlander, March 15, 2014, 06:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Chatter

Must admit, I'm tempted to get a waist pack.  I've had pretty troublesome back pain for a while now, and can't get out of the habit of crouching forward in anticipation of a strike, especially on the rivers.  This is making matters worse, especially with the weight in my vest.  I'm thinking that a waist pack might be a good alternative to a lumber support, and if roomy enough would let me discard the vest.  I have used a smallish waist pack on the flats a few times and you do forget it's there after a while, as the weight's supported low down or on your hips.  I wouldn't have anywhere to put my scoop net though.  Another advantage I can see is that it can be used in the boat, making my life vest more comfortable, as it's a pain over the traditional vest.  Much to ponder.   :)

Wildfisher

Quote from: River Chatter on April 05, 2014, 03:31:54 PM
Must admit, I'm tempted to get a waist pack. 

They are good John, but they do get wet when you wade.

Part-time

Last couple of seasons I've started using a lanyard after seeing Deergravy and Alan with them; found it works well for me to and stops me taking stuff I don't need. I don't hang a fly box off it and just keep a fly box or two in my pockets. If I'm out for more than an hour or two, as well as the lanyard, I take a small back pack  which i can keep a fleece & waterproof in when I'm not wearing them plus anything else I might need for a whole day. I have a better pack for the hills but for day to day a cheap Karrimor pack works fine; the Urban 30 ones I bought for under a tenner - bright colours for the daughters school bags and more muted blue for my fishing bag :)

Allan Crawford

Noticed shakespeare advertising a waist bag /belt in a magazine think it was agility series looked ok cheaper end of the market as expected with shakey gear

Highlander

Got my Orvis Safe Passage waist bag. First impressions are excellent. Obvious to me it has been designed by a fisherman. The construction is good with excellent stitching & bar tacking at stress points. It basically suits all/most of what I had envisaged as what I was looking for. Colour is a muted " Slate Blue" & has extra straps if one wanted to use it as a chest pack, not something I might use but some may well do. Price was an excelled £40 inc postage down from £85 It is on special price so supplies may  well be limited in future All in all a good product & backed up with the Orvis warranty.

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3H6T

Thanks SteveF for pointing that one out.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page