News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Camping stoves

Started by Simon Everett, January 17, 2017, 02:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

was there a stove in there? it obviously wasn't very good; she looked a bit chilly
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

That is why she was wearing furry boots  :roll: :roll:
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Billy

There is an article in FF & FT this month from Anthony Glasgow comparing three camping stoves. Three stoves were a Trangia, jetboil and a Kelly kettle.
Even I could have told you the results before reading it.

Billy

corsican dave

Quote from: Billy on March 04, 2017, 11:33:06 AM
There is an article in FF & FT this month from Anthony Glasgow comparing three camping stoves. Three stoves were a Trangia, jetboil and a Kelly kettle.
Even I could have told you the results before reading it.

Billy
put me out of my misery Billy  :lol: i reckon, the jetboil was far and away the fastest, the trangia was the most practical, but they STILL opted for the Kelly kettle as the best-buy.......??  :roll:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

SoldierPmr

I admit Dave I really like the jet boil but I rather save the gas for when I really need it so (I'm cheap) I would opt for a Kelly my self as the fuel is free.

johnny boy

I have to say Kelly is my fav way to go on the rare occasion that I want hot anything when out n about.

Generally speaking I am a flask or 'go cold' kinda guy.

There is something about a naked flame that just seems right to me, I have also never really taken to carrying gas cilinders anywhere on my person,makes no sense I know but its just summit I have always had an issue with.

Billy

The jet boil came out best for speed. I reckon the name gives it away. Trangia was too slow and took up too much space. Kelly Kettle came third as it can't be used in a tent.

Not a very exiting article and I think it would have been better comparing different gas burners against each other or meths burners etc.

Billy

Bobfly

I know I am a bit old fashioned but I cannot see past an Optimus 123 , sometimes called the Svea 123 or the Optimus Climber. This little petrol stove is self cleaning with a built in needle wire in the jet. It requires no priming pump and it has an adjustable burner valve. It has been in production for more than 100 years so they are older tham me (!). It roars like a doodle-bug and gives out huge heat from petrol which is probably the most heat dense fuels you can get. Meths is very slow and a low heat fuel for its weight and is expensive. My one has been going for more than 40 years and it lights first time every time. New stoves and spares are available in many countries. A design classic  :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

sparkymc

I have just posted my full kit in another post but as for stoves I have quite a collection, my two favourites at the moment are an evernew titanium alcohol stove and a fire maple FMS-117T Remote Gas Stove.
I like the evernew because its silent, it might be a bit slower than a gas stove but i am not usually in a hurry anyway.
its quite a weight saving over a trangia (35g to 110g) only downside is it doesn't have a lid so you can't store fuel in it and its not easy to put out so its best to gauge how much fuel to use and let it burn itself out.

If its likely to be windy then i will take the gas stove with a small 110g canister.

I am not a fan of jetboil type stoves as you are limited to the one type of cooking pot, i like to take a small pot to boil water in and a small frying pan for bacon / sausages or even a trout.

If i am camping near the car then i might use a kelly kettle.
I did make a wood burner from an ikea utensil holder (search youtube for ikea hobo stove) but i hate the soot / creosote it produces.
it is very hard to remove from my lovely titanium pans  :(

Billy

I have a small primus spider which is good and fast especially when I use my lightweight wind break.

Billy

Go To Front Page