News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wading boots, what to buy, how do they last?

Started by alba, April 16, 2017, 01:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alba

The time has come again... I have a pair of greys GRXI boots that have lasted 6 years, the have seen numerous lochs, used them to hike with waders on, a week trip to scourie and hundreds of trips walking miles and miles up and down my old local trout steam the avon.

So the question is, how long do you's guys expect to get from your wading boots?

Bare in mind these old boots got a thrashing 3 and 4 times a week some years and considering they were 50 quid they have served their purpose but its time for a new pair.

No budget here just need a pair that will last as long and perform time and time again.

Cheers

Hill loch gold

I usually buy simms and have found them to last well. The last pair i had done me about 5 seasons and the current pair i have are also into their 5th season. I think the next pair i buy will have the vibram sole instead of the felt one though. The felt sole has started to come away on the right boot but other than that, the boots are still pretty much intact and should last a wee while longer yet.

Wildfisher

Simms or Orvis, but if you got all that use out of Greys it might be worth just getting the same thing again. I buy Orvis now just because if they fall to bits in an unreasonably short time I have a good chance of getting them replaced.

Bobfly

Buy the same again in the same size .... but don't expect the next pair to give you the same length of service.
A famous American mountaineer Yvon Chuinard said that if you ever find yourself in a well fitting, comfortable, strong pair of real leather boots go straight back to the shop and buy a second pair  :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Inverguseran

I would say try and get another pair the same as you have, I have never had a pair of wading boots last more than three years.

sagecirca

I wish I had bought a second pair of Simms Riverside boots with the sticky soles.  Best boots I have ever had.  The new vibram soles are murder on rocks even with studs. 

Wildfisher

Quote from: sagecirca on April 16, 2017, 09:56:46 PM
The new vibram soles are murder on rocks even with studs.

I agree. They are deadly. I fell and broke the ring finger on my left hand in 2012.  Nothing I have used beats studded felt, but felt is already banned in some countries and may well end up banned everywhere eventually.

aliferste

Quote from: Hill loch gold on April 16, 2017, 08:28:06 AM
I usually buy simms and have found them to last well. The last pair i had done me about 5 seasons and the current pair i have are also into their 5th season. I think the next pair i buy will have the vibram sole instead of the felt one though. The felt sole has started to come away on the right boot but other than that, the boots are still pretty much intact and should last a wee while longer yet.

Use Evostick to sort out your felt sole issue!

http://urbanflyfisher.com/how-to-fix-a-felt-sole-which-has-fallen-off/

sagecirca

Quote from: admin on April 16, 2017, 10:14:03 PM
I agree. They are deadly. I fell and broke the ring finger on my left hand in 2012.  Nothing I have used beats studded felt, but felt is already banned in some countries and may well end up banned everywhere eventually.

Think I have went through every permutation of wading stud position and stud design but found that it makes no difference at all! I have had a couple of proper soakings the last couple of years but nothing broken thankfully....touch wood ...

*bangs hand on dining table  :D

garryh

A vote for Orvis from me. I just bought a pair of Access boots not cheap but i reckon with their after sales service Orvis are hard to beat.

Garry
ps when i bought them i signed up to have their promotions and deals e-mailed to me. i was on their site today to buy some of their studs which are the best i've come across .again not cheap at £25 but then i remembered i had a promo for £25 off when you spend £50 so i added fly tying materials to my order to take it up to £50 and ended up with £25 of materials for nothing . well chuffed
Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Go To Front Page