News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

the summer of 76

Started by andy m, June 19, 2017, 07:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy m

i was just 8 in 1976 and cant remember much other than plenty of sun but when you are wee looking back summers seemed to be good all the time. i remember reading a while back that some lochs completely dried up in 1976. so was wondering if anyone from the forum remembers fishing that summer , was it relay that hot any memories of that summer and the conditions for fishing i would like to hear some of your stories did tar melt in the road, could you fry a egg on the pavement ha ha or was it just a decent summer compared to to days summers of the last few years cheers andy m

Wildfisher

I was 24 in 1976. It was a wild summer that just went on and on. Can't remember much about the fishing but I clearly remember swimming in Loch Barndy.

burnie

I was chasing Barbel on the Hampshire Avon and Dorset Stour and hooked and lost a Brown Trout over 10lbs on a chunk of luncheon meat.

Bobfly

1976 ... "Hottest summer since records began". Standpipes fitted in the streets of some towns. Hose pipe bans all over the shop.          All due to global warming and Vauxhall and German diesel engines apparently  :roll: :roll:
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Highlander

1976, year I left HM Armed Forces. It sure was a hot summer. Rivers were low lochs were too warm.
Think I remember night fishing was reasonable. When it did break there were good runs of migratory fish that were stacked up in the Firth of Clyde. It was a long time ago after all.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

andy m

thanks lads so buy what your are saying it was a cracker of a summer . boy fred 24 years old where goes the time dooking in loch brandy. burnie a 10 pound brown trout lost on lunchen meat its good to look back. must have been hard work fishing that summer of 1976 cheers andy m

burnie

I hooked and lost a big salmon on the Royalty fishery on a chunk of luncheon meat, think I can feel a fly tying session coming on, need some pink foam I think.

Wildfisher

1976. A long time ago and a stark reminder that your youth is just a fleeting moment in time. It's important to take full advantage of all of your  years, not just your youth.  When I look back at  that time in my life it is almost surreal. It's truly amazing how quickly the time passes.  Don't procrastinate, grab it with both hands and go for it.

hopper

I started serving my apprenticeship as a painter and decorator, great to be working outside on those hot sunny days, 41 years later I am still applying paint and still enjoying my work and dealing with many great customers.

On a Saturday in October of that year the weather broken I caught two salmon from the Bervie water 6lb and 18lb the larger one was sold to a game dealer for £54 three weeks wages to a first year apprentice, no wonder poaching was rife back then.

tomcatin

Great summer for a twelve year old .......... helping my dad with his increasingly bizarre water recycling schemes to keep the veg patch alive and kicking, heading to Headingley to see Greenidge and Fredericks crack magnificent centuries to the soundtrack of the local West Indian calypso beats and long days catching tench, chubb and roach with nothing more than a float and some bread!

Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

Go To Front Page