News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

7 Weight Rod Recommendations

Started by Wildfisher, July 11, 2017, 01:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I need a heavier rod for the estuary fishing, something that will be more suited to bigger flies and hopefully bigger fish. I tried my old #8 weight this morning, but it's a horrible rod and I really do not like heavy line weight single handed rods anyway.  They are just all "wrong"  for me.

Thought about a 9 foot #7 wight - any recommendations for a reasonably fast action #7 rod that has "feel" ?  What about Orvis? Was thinking about a Recon. 

Lines for it are no problem  - no  so called "bargain"  price compromise lines from Barrio or that ilk -  you get what you pay for  - I'll be buying Rio, only question is which model, there are just so many to choose from.

burnie

I have a Greys GS2 10 foot #7 four piece I could sell you, I just don't use it now I have the Hardy Fred. Only been used a handful of times, would be shame if it ends up as my SWFF rod.

Wildfisher

Quote from: claretbumble on July 11, 2017, 02:11:08 PM
They took it back, no issues.

This is what I like about Orvis. If you buy you pay a premium, but part of what you pay for is guarantee of quality and good service.  The #7 weight Recon is just under £400, not cheap, but not outrageous. I can also nip up to Banchory and look at the rods in the shop.

Highlander

Only thing I will add to the mix is do not buy a rod with a stiff tip or what I think would be called a fast action. A more traditional flex  is desirable for Sea Trout if fresh in the estuary. Just something I have found/ noticed over the past years fishing the tidal waters of the River Leven.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

sagecirca

You can't go wrong with a Sage ONE Fred  :8)

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on July 11, 2017, 03:15:41 PM
A more traditional flex  is desirable for Sea Trout if fresh in the estuary.
Fresh sea trout are famous for having soft mouths and hooks pulling, so that's a good point.

Laxdale

Quote from: admin on July 11, 2017, 03:19:29 PM
Fresh sea trout are famous for having soft mouths and hooks pulling, so that's a good point.
A few of the more serious sea trout anglers I know use 1-2/0 hooks for sea trout in the sea. This gets round the issue of hooks pulling, and also reduces the chances *slightly) of catching smaller fish.
Too big, you my think?
A 1.5lb sea trout thinks nothing of eating an 8" sandeel.

andy m

fred i have used a sharpes gordon 10 1/2 ft rate 7. fished this rod for years now best all round rod that i have used cheers andy m

arawa

Orvis have a sale on for the Helios at the moment but online only have the #7 in the 9ft and 10ft tip flex version.
Shops might have the mid-flex (which is what I have in a lighter weight - very happy).

Wildfisher

Quote from: sagecirca on July 11, 2017, 03:16:56 PM
You can't go wrong with a Sage ONE Fred  :8)

I just bought my ticket for tonight's EuroMillions draw.  :D

Go To Front Page