News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

7 Weight Rod Recommendations

Started by Wildfisher, July 11, 2017, 01:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Hit pause button .............................

I just remembered I have a Bloke XL50 9 foot #6. Now Magnus Angus assures me these are really #7 weights. In any case my rod is actually 8 feet 11 inches as I broke an inch off the tip which can only stiffen it further.

I'll give that a try over the next few days. Might save me £400.  :8)

I have actually used this rod in the estuary of The Grey River in NZ catching Kahawai up to 5 lb using a #7 weight Wildfisher intermediate. If it can handle Kahawai it will handle anything here. The Kahawai is a fish that after you hook  about your third in a row you are so exhausted you find yourself secretly hoping you won't catch any more but don't want to admit it.  :lol:

Here in fact is said rod, reel and line complete with Kahawai and one of my Crocs.  :D

[attachimg=1]

rannoch raider

I've recently bought an Orvis Helios 2 . I got the 9ft 4 weight Tip Flex. Its the most expensive rod I've ever bought but it is also without any doubt whatsoever the best fishing rod I've ever handled. The rod is an absolute joy to cast, to hold and to fish with. It makes a pretty average angler like me look like I know what I'm doing :lol:. The next rod I'll buy will be another Helios 2. It really is pretty special.
Line for me is the Rio Gold InTouch.

Lochan_load

I've got a sharpes Gordon 2 and it's decent although a shot of my mates sage one made it seem pretty ordinary, moral of that story is nevr try someone else's rod unless you know it's crapper than your own! I've also got one of these Fred, hardy swift mark 2, excellent casting rod and this is a great price for a new one but it's not a soft rod but might as well share it as some one might be interested

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152608002619

corsican dave

another vote for the helios. a mate of mine has one and (somewhat bravely, IMO) let me have a shot. one of the nicest rods i've ever used
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Laxdale

Quote from: Lochan_load on July 11, 2017, 07:50:24 PM
I've got a sharpes Gordon 2 and it's decent although a shot of my mates sage one made it seem pretty ordinary, moral of that story is nevr try someone else's rod unless you know it's crapper than your own! I've also got one of these Fred, hardy swift mark 2, excellent casting rod and this is a great price for a new one but it's not a soft rod but might as well share it as some one might be interested

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152608002619

I got a second hand Swift Mk2 on the SFF for 140quid last year to replace a Hardy Elite I broke. Both 10.5ft for a 7wt. The Swift needs an 8 line to load it and is a poker compared to the Elite. The Swift is a casting as opposed to fishing rod.

Lochan_load

Yeah I'd agree with that, use my 10' 6wt sharpes now as it's got more feel to it, the swift was good for casting bigger flies and i used it for pike but not done much of that lately.

Wildfisher

I think I still have a few old Daiwa Whisker 10 foot #7 weights lying around somewhere. They are good rods  for fishing loch style  in a drifting boat, but far too limp  for much else.

Wildfisher

Used the Bloke with a #7 weight Wildfisher white floating line and a 5 foot sinking poly leader this morning. It did the job admirably. The upshot is I won't be buying a #7  rod anytime soon, but will likely buy a shorter head  #7 Rio line.

Go To Front Page