News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

adders in scotland

Started by andy m, August 10, 2017, 08:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy m

never seen one in lots of fishing trips to many parts of scotland. great part of wild fishing it brings you to some remote places and a keen eye some great nature along the way. the last two trips that i have been up to rannoch moor i have seen a short eared owl hunting never seen one before so good to see. one time when i was fishing loch arkaig a alnighter i walked along the road to try another bay about 4 in the morning a scottish wild cat come out of bush and on to the road and stopped and looked at me before returning back the way it had come. it was its tail rather short and its size that a knew it was not your usual tabby. so where in scotland is adder country. are they absent from the scottish isles been to skye harris lewis shetland. and most countys in scotland. like to see one just briefly no get bitten just be my luck never seen one then step on one haha cheers andy m

Wildfisher

Lots in the drier eastern Highlands. Glen Esk in Angus is famous for them, but they are everywhere.

Bobfly

Rather strangely you might think, the highest Scottish density is on Jura where I have seen a few. Plenty on the Arran hills also, and in the Lammermuirs.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Lochan_load

Had never seen any either and then saw 3 in one day on a sunny day at Loch fyne in may. Sitting amongst the ferns next to the rocks gathering up heat.

andy m

thanks fred the east part of scotland . i fished up backwater dam loch shandra think a bit more north of there do you think glen prosen glen clova would be a good area for them. just have to find a few lochs up that way to try for a day ,though i would like to see one it would be a fishing trip come first with a rare chance o seeing a adder cheers andy m

Wildfisher

Best time to see them is March /  April when they emerge from hibernation. They take a while to get started up in the mornings  and can be seen stretched out in the weak  sun trying to warm up.

andy m

well they seem to be well spread then jura arran good spot bobfly, lochan load three at once just goes to show right place right time, thanks andy m

Lochan_load

A pair curled up together and then another one that my dogs stepped on and got a right fright! Had a cracking picture of the pair but I've lost it since I changed my phone  :roll:

andy m

that could be fred march april time when i would not consider fishing a bit higher in the glens bit early that i have maybe missed best chance of seeing a adder. good info and feed back from members here cheers andy m

rannoch raider

Trossachs and the moss near the Lake is home to quite a few. Also seen a few in the sand dunes at Sands of Luce beach.

Go To Front Page