News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Reel sound

Started by Robbie, November 28, 2017, 01:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

The PSFGC reel thread looks at rating the quality of a reel on its performance build quality, drag, start-up inertia etc. It also covers looks but I don't think we have cover the other significant (or not) aesthetic quality: the sound it makes.

Does not often factor into the equation for the bandies I normally catch, however the salmon I caught on the EOSS did manage to strip line from the reel. I was using a Dragon fly reel, not a high spec reel and actually the first fly reel I ever purchased. It did however make a rather pleasing sound and the Salmon took line.For most of my fishing I use a Danielsson which runs silently. If I had been using this reel I suspect the occasion would have been lessened by the lack of backing track.

This lead to a few questions:

How important do you consider the sound a reel makes to be?
Have you factored this into reel choice?
which is the best sounding reel?

Highlander

Personal thing but must admit I like  reel to have sound always have done & always will. I would never buy a silent reel.
Best sound?
Was the sound of a J.W. Young Beaudex as a large Trout on an unnamed loch near Altnaharra stripped off all my fly line & backing. That's all I remember as it swirled at the end & we parted company & with only the Ghillie comments at the time
"That wus a big fish a feckin beauty.
Ever get that sick feeling in one's stomach? so far thankfully only a few time in my lifetime.
Tight Lines

PS I believe all be it a few years back one could get a phone ring tone that was the sound of a reel. The most popular sound was a Hardy Perfect
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Laxdale

Not an issue once your hearing starts to go!   :D :D :(

Lochan_load

One of my feels is he hardy l.r.h lightweight, old style reel with the proper click drag that makes a very satisfying noise as line gets pulled off. I've changed my mind about buying reels because they were silent, felt a bit eerie but suppose it's just because You get used to there always being a noise of some sort.

Ps Paul Bibio1 has that ring tone Alan

Wildfisher

Having used both I much prefer silent reels and would not buy a noisy  reel now any more than I'd drive  Ford Cortina. Old hat.

Lochan_load

I love my ford cortina!  :lol:

Lochan_load

Och where's the romance in that  :roll:  :lol:

Bobfly

My Dragonflies are silent as are the New Era reels. BUT ... the old Hardy Ultralight purrs like a contented kitten with a light purr on the out and a deeper purr on the in. The Orvis Battenkills purr on the out and are silent on the inwards wind.
I do like all of the purring sounds  :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

Quote from: Bobfly on November 28, 2017, 05:46:51 PM
My Dragonflies are silent as are the New Era reels. BUT ... the old Hardy Ultralight purrs like a contented kitten with a light purr on the out and a deeper purr on the in. The Orvis Battenkills purr on the out and are silent on the inwards wind.
I do like all of the purring sounds  :D :D
me too, Vaughan! i like my hardy ultralight and the tibor is unmistakable.  the problem is that most of gran canaria know you've got a fish on...  (or a least wonders "where's that feckin' racket coming from?" ) :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page