News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Design flaw....

Started by sagecirca, April 04, 2017, 08:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagecirca

I have around a dozen pair of spare laces for various wading boots and cycling shoes......but the problem is the fact that the wire lace literally tears through the tongue which is only further exacerbated when the boots are wet!

haresear

Quote from: Laxdale on May 29, 2018, 10:06:02 AM
I watched a bloke replace a broken wire on his boot in under 10 minutes a fortnight ago.....even with a few drams in him!
I have to admit to getting a pair of G4s in a sale over the winter. No sign of the wire cutting the boot after three weeks use, involving long days and lots of walking.
One thing I have noticed is that the boot is very stiff around the ankle, which means I am having difficulty adjusting my balance like I used to.
Not just me. My mate the ghillie got a pair at the same time, and when I told him the problems with keeping my balance, he said, "Thanks for telling me that. I have the same problem and thought I was just getting doddery in my old age"!

A couple of years ago I nearly bought a pair of the Simms G3 or G4, I forget which. What stopped me was rhe fact that the ankles were too high, especially at the back. I couldn't have walked far in them without great discomfort. I researchèd when I got home and found other people had found thecsame and some had taken a knife to the boots to trim them down.
I ended up with a pair of Simms Vapor boots which lasted about a year before NZ tore them to shreds, as it does to most boots.
Alex
Protect the edge.

Sean Freeman

I bought a pair of Simms freestone boots last season and after 100+ trips they still look fairly good and have worn in nicely. Waders are a nightmare though, I've ripped two pairs of Ikon zip waders, the first pair lasted three seasons until they were mostly composed of aquasure but the second lasted about 10 trips before I went tits up in the river and cut two huge holes across the knee's! :(
Currently have the new vision scouts which seem much more robust. Fingers crossed they last (survive) this time. Maybe Patagonia's next as I hear they're pretty good.

Sean

haresear

Quote from: Sean Freeman on September 05, 2018, 09:12:55 AM
I bought a pair of Simms freestone boots last season and after 100+ trips they still look fairly good and have worn in nicely. Waders are a nightmare though, I've ripped two pairs of Ikon zip waders, the first pair lasted three seasons until they were mostly composed of aquasure but the second lasted about 10 trips before I went tits up in the river and cut two huge holes across the knee's! :(
Currently have the new vision scouts which seem much more robust. Fingers crossed they last (survive) this time. Maybe Patagonia's next as I hear they're pretty good.

Sean

I think much depends on where you fish when it cimes to waders' durability. Mostly I fish rivers which are lined with thistles, brambles and discarded barbed wire......
One guy I know no longer uses breathables on one of my rivers. He has reverted to the modern equivalent of the old Ocean waders. If they did stockingfoots I would do the same.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Sean Freeman

I went with the scouts because I wanted something with a thicker construction but still breathable as I cover a lot of miles in them. The river I grew up fishing every summer in Ireland is where I've ripped both previous pairs on the sharp bedrock in the river when I've slipped. That horrible feeling of cold water pouring through the knee of your new waders isn't the greatest.  :roll:

Go To Front Page