News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Line Backing

Started by mallaig2018, February 12, 2019, 02:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mallaig2018

Fishing the hill lochs its most often the case the fish are sub 1lb. What is everyones preference for backing? personally yet to hook a fish where my backing has been needed but have always used it to beef out my reel as this is what i was taught. Does anyone neglect using backing all together? If not do you use a set length or just watever is required to fill the spool adequately.

haresear

Just use what the reel demands. If you maximise the amount of backing you increase your retrieval rate. That said, most if not all manufacturers overstate the line capacity of their reels so don't try to squeeze too much on or your reel can jam.
Backing is rarely needed but when you need it, you need it badly.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Inchlaggan

As much as the reel demands.
Had it off the reel once and once only.
Fishing a pool just before the river enters the loch - bang! big one!
It ran into the loch and stripped all but the last few turns of the backing off the reel.
After what seemed like hours I had all the backing back on the reel but all the line was out.
Finally, at about twenty yards out it lay on its side on the surface.
Dragged in the dead weight of six pounds of pike.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

keithfish

I like the hollow braid it makes a neat join ,and on the rare occasions I need it has always run out and back smoothly.

Highlander

Hollow braid or Dacron is fine. Have never saw the need in Scotland for Gel Spun. Not a lot of Bonefish of Largs  :roll:

One thing about backing you might go years & never need it but come a time you need it you had better have it. Bit like landing nets far too often I see in videos people & real life with these stupid wee scoop nets try & land largish fish. Last wee video that Fred pointed us to was a good example of what not to do.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Hill loch gold

I usually put something like leeda profil backing on my reels. Although not often, I have been into the backing a few times and wouldn't take the chance of not using any.

Go To Front Page