News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tippet Storage

Started by free the bees, May 03, 2019, 11:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

free the bees

I was wondering if I should be worried about storing my tippet material in the shed.  I currently keep it in a box so it is not in direct sunlight, but at Easter Weekend the temperature in the shed was 35 degrees and I am wondering if such temperatures could damage tippet materials (both mono and fluorocarbon). 

Fishtales

My nylon stays in the back of the car and has done for years. Temps up to  30 degrees and down to the minuses  and is still going strong 😊
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Bobfly

Could be worth sending a question on that to the the customer helpline of the likes of the German Maxima and Stroft. You would likely get a good answer ... to pass on it says keep it cool !
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Highlander

Like most things keeping it cool & in the dark will be best. Why the shed? Shouldn't keep any tackle in a shed even just for the security aspect better in the dark of a controlled temperature such as a house cupboard or drawer. Having said that I would have thought that cold would not effect it to any great extent whereas high heat probably would. UV light, contaminants such as petrol. oils chemicals etc. etc. most certainly will not do nylon any good. There is a fallacy that nylon will fail after a seasons use, utter rubbish. Stored correctly it can last for a number of years as many have found. Still it is relatively cheap enough so if changing it every year  gives one
more confidence then by all means do it.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

ianmck

I use spools of nylon that I've had for probably around ten years without problems. I store it in the garage or in the car boot. Fluorocarbon on the other hand I've had spools go brittle within a year or two or purchase.

Wildfisher

Keep it out of the sun. The sun destroys most plastics, even UV treated plastics eventually.

Go To Front Page