News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

#4 Rod Advice

Started by rubberwellie, June 08, 2021, 07:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubberwellie

I am in the market for a new #4 setup for fishing the dry fly on my local river. I would like to pick up a rod, reel and line for £150 - £200. 

Any suggestions?

Let them go.

Wildfisher

Take a look at the Shakespeare Agility 2 series.

I recently bought one  of these lines to try - used it yesterday and it is superb - at least as good as any mid priced line I've tried

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089QJY16Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rubberwellie

I've had a look for a £4 Agility 2 and can only see a 10ft model available. Looking for an 8-9ft model, preferably 8 or 8ft 6in.  I'll take a look on eBay.

I've read some good reviews about the Max Catch lines - will give one a go when I find a rod.

Thanks
Let them go.

arawa

If you are happy secondhand keep your eye open for an Orvis Clearwater rod. A friend has one in a 5-weight and loves it, and my brother has both a 5 and a 4-weight and he is very happy with them. I have tried both and they cast well. They bought theirs when Orvis were selling the rods with reels and lines in your price range but that offer has been discontinued. The kits come up on eBay from time to time.

east wind

I have one of these in 8ft 6in #4
I find it a sweet rod on small to medium rivers but have used it on larger waters in kinder weather because it's just so pleasant to cast with.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274399883901?hash=item3fe381f27d:g:gCgAAOSwuQpgUNG8

Leaves the cost a little tight when adding a reel and line.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

rubberwellie

I went for a Greys GR40 in the end and paired it up with a GTS600 reel and Wychwood Connect Feather  Down Floater. Went a wee bit over budget but can live with it.

I would have been fine with a second hand rod but wanted to get sorted quickly and didn't see anything on eBay. Also gave the Agility 2 a wiggle test in shop but preferred the lighter feel of the Greys.

Thanks for the advice.
Let them go.

Go To Front Page