News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Weighing Fish

Started by Wildfisher, October 28, 2021, 09:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

One thing I have noticed is that the  guys who "don't care how much a fish weighs so never weigh them"  are the same guys who get most animated and often downright angry  when I tell them the fish they "estimated"   at 5lb looked more like 3lb to me, but of course we can't say for sure because he never weighed it  :lol:

Laxdale

Chek out the 4lb 4oz sea trout on the Outer Hebrides Fisheries Trust page. Estimate, new scales needed or porkies?

burnie

I almost always have a weigh sling in my waistcoat and a set of scales in my bag, I don't weigh many fresh water fish caught in Scotland as to be honest, I rarely catch any whumpers, I do on occasion weigh sea fish for the records. I like to weigh the occasional fish to "re-calibrate" my mind.

Bobfly

I do not weigh fish, not having any suitable means in the first place !!  However, I do quickly measure the length of a good fish if I am in the tube because there is a scale across the apron. You can then use a trout length/weight table to get an idea and these show different condition measures for poor, normal and good.
Usually I can't be bothered, but I might take a quick photo. 😀😀
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Highlander

I do not weigh fish any more when younger I did on occasion. I would like to think after all these years I would have a modicom of sense of what a fish weighs. Having said that many & that includes me on occasion can over estimate, never under estimate  :roll: thogh the ones that got away seem to put on more weight as the years roll bye. :)
I usually just call it a nice Trout that does me.
Tight Lines

8-9".....1/2lb Breakfast Trout
3/4 pun.... Touching 1lb
Easily 1.1/2 pun.....Just over a pound
Must be 2lbs........ 1.3/4lb
Easily 3lb.....2.1/2lb
I rest my case
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

In my experience through  observation over many decades unweighed fish weight up to 75%  more than weighed fish.   :D

Bobfly

I had a whumper on South Uist which was 25 inches. I thought maybe four and a half pounds. Andy Roobard said 6 lbs for sure which did check out a while later on the tables. The Fish Hebrides site asked if I could send in a photo and it grew to "about 8 pounds" just as Andy told me it would !   :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

I recall a humorous article by Jon Beer in which he was recounting the sayings of Irish boatmen on the trout loughs. A favourite was "that one's a good  three quarters sir"

He ended by saying that in his experience a fish that was "a good three quarters" weighed exactly  8 ounces.  :lol:

superscot

If it was something worth weighing, then I would but mostly you knew just not something by looking at them of the approximate weight, not something I would get upset at

Hill loch gold

I'm usually not far off with my guesstimates. When i get a good fish i always have a guess before i weigh it, but more often than not, i'm usually under rather than over. I think the majority of people that exaggerate the weight, haven't caught many big fish, that's how they have no idea of the right weight.

Go To Front Page