News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

New Rod

Started by Wildfisher, January 19, 2022, 08:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Sandy is a real craftsman Robbie. I remember Mike Barrio showing me a rod Sandy had built on Sage blanks that looked like it had come out of the factory.

My rod was originally  his brand new built demo that he sent out to me to try. I was so impressed with it that when he offered it I snapped it up. All it required was the grip reshaped from full to my preferred half wells and a keeper ring added. I shipped the rod back to him and 2 weeks later I have it back.

You should check out Pete Tyjas interviewing Sandy in one of his Fly Culture podcasts. Well worth a listen

https://open.spotify.com/show/3mv4IO2JVVB9DpjeLVr1fL

Wildfisher

Incidentally I bought one of Mike Barrio's GT90 Mk2 lines (which are now made in the USA) to try with this rod. It is very good, the new lines are a great improvement on the older UK made lines in terms of coating slickness  which I have found to be an issue with ALL UK made lines.  The long back taper makes it very stable. Rod from Sandy, line from Mike - Inverurie is becoming Scotland's custom tackle centre.  :)

I have heard that all UK line makers except Airflo  have gone bust during covid. Not sure if that is 100% but it's what I  was told.

Crawhin

That would be a shame Fred if true.  Where were the lines you used to sell sourced from?  They were always good quality and well priced.

Wildfisher

22M Ian, closed down over covid I believe. Yes a real shame.

Robbie

Quote from: admin on February 02, 2022, 06:32:09 PM
Sandy is a real craftsman Robbie. I remember Mike Barrio showing me a rod Sandy had built on Sage blanks that looked like it had come out of the factory.

My rod was originally  his brand new built demo that he sent out to me to try. I was so impressed with it that when he offered it I snapped it up. All it required was the grip reshaped from full to my preferred half wells and a keeper ring added. I shipped the rod back to him and 2 weeks later I have it back.

You should check out Pete Tyjas interviewing Sandy in one of his Fly Culture podcasts. Well worth a listen

https://open.spotify.com/show/3mv4IO2JVVB9DpjeLVr1fL

I had caught that podcast already. Actually been listening to a few of the fly culture podcasts, a lot of good stuff in them, well worth a listen.

Go To Front Page