News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Sinking tippet

Started by arawa, February 08, 2022, 08:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I used to make my own sinking compound - fullers earth, fairy liquid, water and glycerine I think it was.  ;)

burnie

Quote from: arawa on February 09, 2022, 02:56:48 PM
I have not see this before, so thanks. The problem is that it is very thick for its strength so I would lose the stealth I am seeking by using fine tippets. The laws of physics are winning :(
I met Pete Drennan many years ago at a game fair, he has a very analytical mind to finding solutions to problems.......................................and then makes money out of them ;D

Bobfly

I make up a little pot of degreaser from Fuller's Earth, washing up liquid, glycerine and diluted Surfex HD. The Surfex HD is an organic degreaser used even for cleaning car engines by garages nowadays and avoiding discharge effluent problems with other chemicals. Very effective on oils, greases and fats and diluted down quiite a lot is still effective and useful around the house too.
I was discussing this recently with a chap who knows a lot about chemistry and fishing. The leaders have surfaces which are both hydrophobic to repell water and lipophilic so they attract the lipid fats that are a micro film on the water from bird feathers, plant leaves, anglers sandwiches ... you name it there will be a molecule thick on most water. So you find that flourocarbon actually floats better than copolymer nylon even though more dense. It sinks nicely if you poke it straight into the water !
I use an old plastic film canister with a little cloth in that is wet with diluted Surfex HD to give a wipe as required as well as the degreaser mix.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Bobfly

Another suggestion from the person who told me about Surfex HD was to put a little in from a bottle of Finish dishwasher cleaner. This is a good cleaner of fats and oils.

scoobyscott

Quote from: admin on February 09, 2022, 11:41:00 AM
I remember discussing this with Bob Wyattt and he reckoned the tippet floating made no difference. His thinking was the fish see stuff floating past all the time, grass, stems etc.
I dont think it makes that big a difference tbh. Have you seen some of those videos you were posting of that couple fishing for big trout. Many times they seem to "line" the fish with heavy tippet yet the fish still take the fly 🤷‍♂️

Bobfly

The "floating leader is OK" is probably more in river fishing because of surface creases and currents and surface movement. It is supposed to be more important for lochs unless there is a good ripple or wind. On a calmer surface the leader does stand out.

arawa

All I can go by is my experience over many years. On the lochs I regularly fish, floating tippets mean fewer fish.
I quite understand other anglers might have found differently. It would be a boring sport if we all had the same ideas :)

Fishtales

I make my own sinkant, I call it spit :) Some on the finger and thumb and run the leader and flies through it. It works about as often as all the bought stuff does, sometimes better, even after using Muclin to float the leader :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page