News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Daiwa Rods

Started by Wildfisher, April 08, 2005, 02:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Always been a fan of Daiwa rods, good value / quality ratio. The old Whisker Fly range has been replaced by a new ?Exceler?  range.

Anyone know anything about these / tried them?

Scierra

I WORK IN A TACKLE SHOP AND I HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT DAIWA ARE A WASTE OF TIME!!!!

PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG THE OLD TRADITIONAL DAIWA RODS MADE IN OLD BONNIE SCOTLAND WERE FANTASTIC!! NOW YOU ARE FISHING WITH A LARGE PIECE OF LIQUORISH!! THE LAST DAIWA ROD I BOUGHT WAS THE WILDERNESS 7/8 SINGLE HANDED ROD WHICH I FISHED TWICE AND THEN SOLD IT FOR HALF THE PRICE AS I DESPERATLY WANTED TO GET RID OF IT!!
THE SALMON RODS (DOUBLE HANDED) ARE JUST AS BAD DUE TO THEIR FLEXY ACTION!!! - MORE OF A WORMING ROD THAN A FLY ROD!!!

I PERSONALY WOULD RATHER SPENT MY MONEY ON A SCIERRA OR A GREYS WHICH I KNOW IS WORTH THE MONEY AND IS A PLEASURE TO FISH WITH ALL SEASON!!

ALSO THE FACT AS I WORK IN A TACKLE SHOP THE AFTERSALES SERVICE IS VERY POOR AND WE NOW WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM!!!!

TIGHTLINES

SCIERRA!

HOPE THIS ADVICE WAS USEFUL!!

Clan Ford

Do Daiwa make in rods in Scotland anymore?  I think the factory is still there but I could be wrong.  Like Fred I'm a bit of a closet fan however I've not bought a Diawa rod for some time.  Only Daiwa I actually use is my Altmor double hander for the Salmon - I like it.

Norm

Wildfisher

Good rods for trad. wet fly on a boat. I would not use them now though. 3 years on from the original post in this thread I now much prefer light fast actioned rods these days for all my fishing.

sandyborthwick

I've had a DAM 10'  Wt7 for about 20 years. Hadn't used it for a year or two but got it out in the recent gale we had on the loch. Have been using Cortlands and Clearwater for a long time and have tried numerous such as Snowbee and Abu. I was quitely surprised going back to the old DAM rod how comparatively well it works - just made me think that possibly the other dozen or so in the cupboard haven't really progressed that much.

I would probably buy a new DAM if I could get my hands on them even the 9' was a realy nice rod in its day. I admit they are a bit heavy but sometimes it pays in really heavy weather.

If I remember rightly the Loch Mor 10' was a Diawa make and that was an excellent rod - only problem is that breaking sections is a poor end to them as replacements are almost impossible to come by. Its the aftersales IMHO that have le these rods down in recent years the performance has been reasonably good across the range.

Sandy B.O.

Highlander

QuoteHOPE THIS ADVICE WAS USEFUL!!
Not really......bit of a rant if truth be said.
Do not know about their latest offerings but their old stuff was certainly good. As Fred said value for money. I still use them, have about five, mostly the older WF98's & a few Lochmor Z . Perfectly sound rods & in the right hands as good as any of to-days latest wands.
Tell you one thing though about them, they do not break like the ones scierra mentions. I have lost count of how many posts I have read about warranty claims on Greys & Scierra. Sad if the modern versions do not live up to what they were but will not concern me as I can see my Diawa outliving me.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Dunbar

Good dependable rods with classy, unfussy cosmetics. I used various rods from the CF98 and whisker range for years - unpretentious and very tough. Before that my first rod was a glass Daiwa Troutmaster (which I still have). I currently use a 12' 6" Altmor #6-8 for grilse fishing.

haresear

Choice of rod action is a personal thing. A few years ago I used to love the 9' #4-6 WF98 and it really bends to the butt when you have a good fish on.

My casting has changed quite a bit from theose days and so has my choice of rod action. I prefer a fast actioned rod now and I couldn't get on with the old Diawa at all on the one day I used it recently.

I think it is a bit of a sweeping statement to say Diawa rods are crap, just as it would be to say Sage rods are. It is down to personal preference and casting style.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Scierra

I can tell you that daiwa rods are pritty useless!!
The WHISKER only being the best!!
Its the eyes of the rods that are poorly manufactured as I have had many come into the shop and ask for them to be replaced!!!!!!

Get a a decent rod!!!!
SCRAP DAIWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clansman

I have used Diawa Rods over the years with no problems.

I think that Scierra may have a vested interest in scierra rods.

I do not believe that scierra rods are any better than Diawa - as I said used Diawa on and off over the years with no problems other than a little heavy towards the end of the day.

Go To Front Page