News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Daiwa Rods

Started by Wildfisher, April 08, 2005, 02:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Personally I could hardly care less what anyone thinks of any rod. If you don't like  them don't use them.

east wind

Got a 10ft 7-9 Whisker which I've had many years pleasure from. Would gladly still use today it if needs be, but as mentioned, now prefer the lightness and faster action of my current rod. Remember sleeping well after a day in a boat with it. Started my fly fishing using my bro's Whisker which i think was over 11ft (mibbee not recommended)

Far as i know they still manufacture at Wishaw and my last time i was there they could not be more helpful. This was after my mate broke the cherished wand. He don't fish but likes beer and his work was organising a trip to Fad so the beer problem was solved. Somehow i provided him with half an of an Airflow Classic and half of a Whisker........Snap.

Cheers,

EW
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

zeolite

I have a selection.
Alltmor 8.5' #5. Lovely rod! Fish all day painlessly

Alltmor 15' #10. Broke once and has been repaired for free by Diawa. Used consistently until I got a Bruce and Walker.

12.5' #7-9 WF98 was Mrs Zs until she got Oracle. (nicke my B+W now) Nice easy casting summer rod that that I haven't used much.

Sensor Z spinning rods in small and large sizes. I really like these as I use floating devons and you need the sensitivity as well as backbone.

My match rod (for grayling) is a diawa as well

Can't complain about any of them apart from the 15' breaking when I was stuck.

No idea about the latest ones though
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Malcolm

The finest salmon Rod I have tried in recent years was a Daiwa; the Scott MacKenzie Signature 15ft.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Dunbar

Quote from: Scierra on July 19, 2008, 01:14:03 AM
I can tell you that daiwa rods are pritty useless!!
The WHISKER only being the best!!
Its the eyes of the rods that are poorly manufactured as I have had many come into the shop and ask for them to be replaced!!!!!!

Get a a decent rod!!!!
SCRAP DAIWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit of a rant there mate. Everyone has their opinion, however I would tend to disregard an opinion of someone who I perceive has a vested interest in a particular area, do you possibly promote and sell Scierra products? I've generally found Scierra stuff to be crap, that however is only my opinion based on a few items i've had (waders, reels).

Highlander

Do you not think guys that rod manufacturers may have reached their limitations with materials. I mean how light & fast can we get. Surely some thing must give & if the posts I read over the years are to go by the rods go 10 a penny & not just the cheap & cheerful Chinese stuff but top of the range rods are not adverse to snapping without warning. Me I will suffer my old Daiwa's & my Hardy for a few more years. A bit heavy ? probably , handle that ?...so far
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

I agree that modern ultra-light rods are very easy to break, but then ALL carbon rods are easy to break compared to glass rods............ :?

Highlander

Fred, surely you can not be hankering for a Milbro Trufly.......surely not
:)
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on July 19, 2008, 05:43:00 PM
Fred, surely you can not be hankering for a Milbro Trufly.......surely not
:)
Tight Lines

I have 2.

Used one of them for nostalgia's sake a few years ago.

never again   :D

Malcolm

I was using a Hardy Jet 8.5 ft #6 for salmon/sea trout fishing on the Endrick not two hours ago!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page