News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Sea fishing Gear

Started by Wildfisher, November 01, 2009, 11:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

My eldest son does a bit of sea fishing  now and then and  wants me to go along with him. I have no gear and don?t want to spend a fortune. I noticed this on ebay.  There are two rods and reels  which seems a bit OTT, but I guess having a spare is useful.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEA-FISHING-BEACH-KIT-2-RODS-2-REELS-TRIPOD-RIGS-LINE_W0QQitemZ120487130931QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_Fishing_FishingRods_EH?hash=item1c0d97b733

Cheap shit no doubt but it seems to  have just about everything and is probably  good enough for occasional use. Any  of you who know anything  about sea fishing care  to cast an eye on  it and comment?

What else would I need?

Inchlaggan

Fred

I'm no expert, but the Fladen kits have a fair reputation for "entry level" users.

HIS in Inverness stock some of this kit. Alternatively try this link-

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Boat_and_Beach_Fishing_Kits.html

Ken
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Yes, I'm sure that kit will be full of stuff I'll never use. Looks like  you can get a rod + reel for about 30 quid. I'll  have to figure out what weights I'll need to cast and take it from there I suppose. I just  had a look on a few sea fishing sites. It's amazing how complex you can make chucking  out a bit of dead fish  on a heavy weight  then standing around eating, drinking beer and talking pish.  :D

Inchlaggan

Quote from: admin on November 01, 2009, 01:00:45 PM
It's amazing how complex you can make chucking  out a bit of dead fish  on a heavy weight  then standing around eating, drinking beer and talking pish.  :D

Add- "in the cold and rain, either on a beach with the public passing by and asking stupid questions, or on stinky seaweed strewn rocks, with salt water b****ring up all your kit."

If you dare- count up the worth of your fly-fishing gear- mutiply that for boat, beach, uptide, downtide, and terminal tackle and lures for twenty or so common species,

You will also need a bigger boat.

Don't risk it, there is always the danger that you might enjoy it.
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on November 01, 2009, 01:14:20 PM
Don't risk it, there is always the danger that you might enjoy it.

I've sea-fished on many  occasions  since I was a boy.  By now I think I can safely say there is no danger I could ever really like it or see it ever becoming anything  more than a cold, dirty and smelly way of passing a few hours when I can't get out to do some real fishing.   :D

Wildfisher

That's most generous of you WHB  but  I am up in Aberdeenshire so it might be awkward. Have you packed up sea fishing?

Inchlaggan

Quote from: admin on November 01, 2009, 01:34:55 PM
or see it ever becoming anything  more than a cold, dirty and smelly way of passing a few hours when I can't get out to do some real fishing.  

I thought that way too..... until one wonderful day on Loch Hourn, I had done a favour for a sea fishing friend and he took me out by way of thanks......dolphins/ porpoises and seals around the boat,......catching cod, pollack, skate, tope, dogfish, rays.....sea eagles in the sky, otters and feral goats on the shore.... sun beating down..... cold beer....soft seats....toilet....cooker....catch and smoke the mackerel...wash your hands in hot water...step into the cabin if a shower passes....no permit required.....no long walks up the hill.....no wearisome casting.... talk pish all day long.

Then there are all the shiny new toys you have to buy........
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on November 01, 2009, 01:53:26 PM
.... talk pish all day long.

When you put it that way I can see it has its attractions   :D

Wildfisher

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps, I have not made my mind up yet but am leaning towards Inchlaggan's suggestion of forgetting about  it altogether.  At this moment in time that seems the most sensible way to go. :lol:

Go To Front Page