News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Wild Fishing Forum Is Now Multi-Lingual

Started by Wildfisher, November 19, 2012, 10:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

As our busy forum recently  entered its 10th successful year it occurred that we long since left behind  any ideas of being narrow and parochial. First big step I suppose  was changing the URL  from www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk to  www.wildfisher.co.uk the next was to get rid of some members who were blatantly and publicly encouraging fishing without permission, using foul language and indulging in behavior that might  bring our excellent and respected community into disrepute.

The latest step has been to add a translation facility.

At the top right  of each page you will see a new drop-down that allows users to select their  language. This will automatically translate  all the forum content.

Now let's not kid ourselves this will be a panacea. Language is about far more than just words, so translations are unlikely to be perfect, some might even be absurd  to native speakers It is however a start and will make our forum a more welcoming place to international visitors.    :D

superscot

Tut Tut Fred every kind of lingo bar Scots !!!!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wildfisher

It only works with real languages, not dialects.  :lol:

Inchlaggan

There are plenty of contributors whose grasp of English confuses me (and Darwin from time to time).
I am going to love to see what the Google Translator makes of bandie, whumper. Wupert's Wange Wover and Wee Eck.
Good move Fred, well done.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on November 19, 2012, 12:22:39 PM
Good move Fred, well done.

All Hail The Great God Google.

His mission is world domination and paying no UK corporation tax but not necessarily in that order.

Unless The Dark Lord Facebook gets in there first of course.

Talking of  Wee Eck, don't tell him - please - we have it in English, Welsh and Irish but nae Gaelic.

It's quite clearly a calculated  insult to Scotland.   :lol:

Wildfisher

Mind you this is my last post in Irish, which is probably close enough.  :lol:

Gach Hail The Great Dia Google. Is é a misean forlámhas domhan agus a íoc gan aon chorparáide Ríocht Aontaithe cánach ach ní gá san ord sin. Mura Faigheann an Dark Tiarna Facebook in ann den chéad uair, ar ndóigh. Ag caint ar Wee Eck, nach insint dó - le do thoil - ní mór dúinn é i mBéarla, Breatnais agus Gaeilge, ach théann chuici Gaelic. Tá sé go maith soiléir insult ríomh go hAlbain.   

Wildfisher

I suppose we should make it clear that all replies must be in English otherwise our moderation team - Sandy and Malcolm are going to be awfy busy.   :lol:

Fishtales

Quote from: admin on November 19, 2012, 12:42:03 PM
I suppose we should make it clear that all replies must be in English otherwise our moderation team - Sandy and Malcolm are going to be awfy busy.   :lol:

To all Forum Members and Guests.

If you come across any posts you can't read and understand try the Translate button on the top right of the page.

Thank you for your co-operation in this matter. If that doesn't work................TOUGH!!

The Moderator Team

:tongue2
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Come now Sandy, that's not the spirit!  :lol:

You can use Babel Fish

http://www.babelfish.com/

or better - Google Translate

http://translate.google.com/

Incidentally to address Ken's concerns about the translation of "whumper" I cannot really see that being an issue.

Only WFF members catch whumpers and quickly assimilate the concept.   :8)

Inchlaggan

Tried it in the very few languages that I have the merest grasp of.
Bandie, whumper etc seem beyond the Great God Google, but the Latin translation for "Wee Eck" is straight out of "Life of Brian"

Wee Eccius
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Go To Front Page