News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Most Memorable Fish

Started by Wildfisher, November 25, 2012, 07:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

At Alan's suggestion. What was your most memorable fish?

I'm not sure I can answer that, but it may have been my first 1Lb + trout, caught on the worm at a small pond near Arbroath. It looked HUGE .  :lol:

Highlander

I''l lead seeing as I instigated it.
A 24" fat male Brown Trout from the Barrhead Dams in the Early 70s Estimated at 6lb.

Place: Balgray Reservoir or as we called it The Big Dam. A complex of five reservoirs of varying sizes that at the time two of them produced the finest Brown Trout in the West of Scotland & to cap it all were "free"
The Trout ones were the first mentioned (the biggest) & The Ryatt Lynn. The Patterton whilst held some Trout was mostly Perch. The Coal Pit was Perch & the "Perchie" was well Perch. The last three undoubtedly held some Trout but most concentrated on the first two.

Was a fine summers evening. The evening rise had not started yet  I was fishing along the bank near the road shore with my Milbro Trufly & a dry Cinnamon Sedge size 16. Why I had a dry on I have no idea as my first choice would have normally been a three fly wet cast. Anyway I had just cast out when noticed that the ripple where my fly had landed showed a calm spot. It was the swirl of the taking Trout & I instinctively lifted & would you believe I actually thought I had snagged. It dawned on me How can I be snagged with a dry? The fish leaped out the water must have been 4ft or more. Well to this young chap felt that way.
For the next 10 minutes or so it came in & then took off with a huge leap at the end. It gradually tired though & I eventually got it to the net & one of the bystanders who had gathered behind to watch me netted it for me. The wee fly had come out in the net as well.
My dad who came to pick us up later offered to pay to get a cast of the fish done & we contacted Dietrich Burkel at the Natural History dept of Glasgow Art Gallery & he would do it for me. Unfortunately there was a fire there & my fish was a casualty. Only the above Black & White photo remains  & my memory. Just wish I had a colour photo but was not to be.
There are others but that one is well up there with anything else.
Alan

" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

hopper

Fishing Loch Conn with a mate who always seemed no matter where we went he would get the big fish and it happened again a cracking 4 1/2 lb total wild brown trout he had also had a salmon earlier in the week i had lost the one i hooked, here we go again  i said to the ghillie Paddy Kelly don't u fret sur he said in that nice soft Irish twang weel get you one this afternoon. Lunch went past and we went to apart of the loch i hadn't been on before, he looked about watching the big rolling waves thur he said full cast 2 o'clock the red arsed greenpeter  was sent on its way i still never saw the rise two pulls and the rod arched over and after a struggle another brown trout of   4 1/2 lb, now sur we don't want to beat him just show we are as good as him. It's not just the fishing but the banter that goes with it, a wild brown i will always remember

Malcolm

Mine was part of a big day. 4lb sea trout, 5lb brown trout and salmon as well as a couple of others within a few hours. The sea trout and brownie are pictured here. I did almost the same this year except that the 3 were caught just after the end of the brownie season so the brownie can't be counted.

Brownie:

[attachimg=1]

Sea run brownie

[attachimg=2]

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

trout n about

Think this has to be my most memorable.

Since i started Ferox fishing there was one loch i wanted to troll but could never get permission to launch a boat. Got an invite from Aya to troll the Perthshire Garry, a trip that was never going to be turned down after years of waiting. We were trolling for about 30 minutes and we landed this fine specimen of 10lb. A day that i will never forget.

Andy

fergie

Thats a real bruiser of a trout Malcolm.

Andy thats still one of the finest looking trout ive seen . :D

Tweed

It had been 4 nights without so much as a touch.  Finally got a good take on the 5th and knew this would be my one chance of a good'un in what had been a long, solitary week.  Managed one half-decent photo and a couple of terrible ones - they do however give it a bit of scale.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Not bad for a fly-caught troot in Scotland.

fergie

Wildfisher

Some lovely fish there especially Andy's leopard!

The most memorable are not always the biggest. Interesting and instructive that Alan's most memorable fish was caught by someone else he was fishing with. That  says much about the level heads and lack of  destructive egos that characterise  members of our community.  :8)

My biggest wild trout was 7lb caught on a dry fly in a river, a stunning fish in every way,  but still my first pounder on the worm when I was a boy is the more precious memory.  :D

bushy palmer

I remember lots of fish for lots of reasons (usually size though). However, one story I often recount (much to the boredom of any non fishers around me) is of a not-so-big fish on Glen Finglas. I was having a terrible time and was struggling to rise a fish. My cousin however, was rising a fish-per-cast and landing lots of them to his blue zulu. The boat was moving from the hotspot and I was rushing to change to a blue zulu also. In my haste I must have tied a dodgy knot as first cast I hooked a fish- it was on for a second and then came off. A few fruitless casts later I realised I'd lost the fly. My cousin was still pulling them in as I raced to tie on another. Before I was ready to cast again my cousin hooked a decent fish, played it for a minute, landed it and duly unhooked both the blue zulu which it had taken and also my blue zulu which was still hooked in it's top lip.
The fish was returned and the "extra" blue zulu went straight on to my cousins drying patch- bastard!

Go To Front Page