News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Do Flies Stop Working?

Started by Wildfisher, November 26, 2012, 10:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

You may have had experience of this. A well used and favourite pattern stops working for you. For me it's the Klinkhamer. I have lost faith in it.

The number of refusals I have had on Klinks  over the past few years is staggering. I don't believe I am doing anything different. This is mainly river fishing, I still get some fish on them on lochs.

I can't believe  the fish  get used  to seeing them and "wise-up"  - that might be the case on very heavily fished waters but I just don't fish places like that. Could it  be using a known pattern too often and in inappropriate circumstances create this impression?

What are your own experiences?

Condor

Fred,
Know what you mean,  for a long time my most reliable fly was a home-spun sparkle spider with a hint of greenwell for old times sake.  It never failed me  and some days I  wouldn't even change flies, I just knew that it would do well. And then, like yourself,  the magic subsided , fish didn't seem interested in it any more.  I don't think it has much to do with tactics or presentation.   It was great to have lots of faith in my fly,  but, and I think this is the trap I wandered into,  I think I had TOO MUCH faith in it , and when it started to fail I beat my brain looking for a reason.   Eventually, I realised that there was no reason,  and even if there was it was nothing to keep me awake.  I simply had too much faith in this fly.  Time to discover another old-faithfull,   how about that black spider in the back row there,  yep, thats the one.  And I'll use him until his karma dries up, or I develope too much faith in him,    no worries,  life is too short, try something else.

Go To Front Page