News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Strange Happenings in The Scottish Hills

Started by Wildfisher, December 22, 2012, 01:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

There have been a few, including mysterious dead bodies that were never explained.

For example: A body was found, 40 years ago or so, near The Shelter Stone at Loch Avon. It was estimated to have been there for at least 4 months and was never identified.

Perhaps the oddest in Aberdeenshire was the body found in a burn on Ben Avon in the 1930s or 40s . The man was wearing a city type suit, a bowler hat was found nearby. Upstream a short distance, arranged on a large rock was an attaché case, shaving brush and other toiletries. What a  man, dressed like this was doing there was never explained.  His identity is a mystery.  Weird or what?.

Do you have any other weird tales of the Scottish hills?

lnelson20

The city dressed gent was certainly a strange one,read that a few years ago.

Chris.
c.nelson

waafisher

I recall a story from Mull about a light aircraft crash in the Sound yet the pilot was found on a hill on Mull without any obvious injury or salt water trace. My thoughts are a bit sparse but I believe that was the summary of the mystery.
http://www.glenforsaairfield.co.uk/3.html
waafisher

Hoolet

We were up on Ben Alder and staying at the bothy......few months later we heard the story of the un identified body found up in the northern corries of the massif, remember?  Guy was dressed like Clint Eastwood and had shot himself with an antique revolver seemingly.

Took a long time but finally he was identified as a Frenchman, he must've travelled dressed like that.
Still freaks me out that we were wandering around on the plateau and that poor guy was lying frozen beneath our feet.

Hoolet.
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

Wildfisher

Now that is weird one Hoolet. I know the place and it would be easy to lose body there for sure.

Hoolet

Found out later that the revolver actually fired lead shot and this was what killed him......must've actually manufactured it himself and there was some found scattered around the area.

Ben Alder bothy was of course also the most haunted !

Hoolet.
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

Wildfisher

Quote from: Hoolet on December 22, 2012, 02:58:56 PM
Ben Alder bothy was of course also the most haunted !

The story was the stalker who lived there, McCook, hanged himself on the back of the door. That was not true as he retired to and died in Newtonmore.  That said there here are some odd tales of Ben Alder cottage  for sure. Not sure I'd be comfy spending the night alone there. The imagination can play odd tricks.

Our hills are just full of such tales and legends. All great stuff and fun to recount.

Hoolet

Ended up getting involved in an incident at Peanmeanach bothy about 15 years ago, too long to recount on here but it involved theft from our rucksacks, alcohol, firearms a capsized canadian canoe and rescue and a donnybrook....ending up with vehicle theft, a car crash and a visit to Fort William Police Station.

One of the guys with us was a journalist and contributor to the climbing magazines and ended up doing a report for one of them all about it
Ill tell you all about it at the end of season Stravaig Fred....if you've a spare half hour!!

Hoolet.
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

Wildfisher

Inchlaggan

'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,