News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Favourite Scottish Bothies

Started by Wildfisher, December 22, 2012, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Without doubt the best one I stayed in was The Nest Of Fannaich. That was many, many years ago and sadly it got burned down, so is no longer available. The absolute worst was Corrour, mobbed, noisy, cramped and mucky.

The Nest Of Fannaich was tidy, there was usually wood for the fire. It even had blue checked curtains on the windows!  Great work by the MBA. The setting was superb, the view west gave a very unusual  angle on Slioch.

What are your most and least favourites and why?

Hoolet

Many favourites:

Oban bothy......had a meter for the electric!

The Tarf hotel......unbelievably comfortable,great furniture and a brilliant fireplace

Sourlies....hammocks for beds and mussels fresh from the sea
( great to see as well after the walk in from the end of the dark mile during a trip out to Inverie as the burns were all full and we'd to strip off a couple of times to cross one or two.....on the 28th December!)

Ben Alder Cottage.....always brilliant fun and the walk in from Rannoch was always amazing.

There's a few others though that I'd rather keep quiet about ( great fishing close by)

Hoolet.
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

Hoolet

Used to love reading the bothy books too

Sadly we always seemed to miss the Swedish women's netball team!!

Hoolet.
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

Wildfisher

Quote from: Hoolet on December 22, 2012, 04:02:33 PM
There's a few others though that I'd rather keep quiet about ( great fishing close by)

Wise. This board is open, so best only to specifically mention well known places.

Wildfisher

Another favourite  of mine,  I won't name but would be happy to do so  by PM to trusted members, lies at the head of a very, very long  Strath in the north. Below a  remote Munro, with a few Corbetts thrown in for good measure. Rescued from a ruined row of cottages it has a wood burning stove and  stands  beside a loch that feeds a river. Migratory fish reach the loch, but I have never fished it. Last time I was there there were many fish rising. It's a great place and I really must return while I am still able as it is a VERY long  hike from any direction.

It's great to think of and plan these things on a vile December day as the rain batters against  the window and the wind howls. I guess it's what keeps us going through the dark days.  How fortunate we in Scotland are to have all this so close by. :D

Calum

Quote from: admin on December 22, 2012, 04:56:20 PM
Another favourite  of mine,  I won't name but would be happy to do so  by PM to trusted members, lies at the head of a very, very long  Strath in the north. Below a  remote Munro, with a few Corbetts thrown in for good measure. Rescued from a ruined row of cottages it has a wood burning stove and  stands  beside a loch that feeds a river. Migratory fish reach the loch, but I have never fished it. Last time I was there there were many fish rising. It's a great place and I really must return while I am still able as it is a VERY long  hike from any direction.

It's great to think of and plan these things on a vile December day as the rain batters against  the window and the wind howls. I guess it's what keeps us going through the dark days.  How fortunate we in Scotland are to have all this so close by. :D

Aye but it is a bugger to get to at times of high water Fred!!!

Cal

Wildfisher

Aye Calum and there is no way of avoiding  that river crossing either. :lol:   It's been 25 years since I was last there, I guess like everywhere else it will be a tad busier now than it was back then. Week days only I think! Have you fished the loch?

Calum

Calum

Quote from: admin on December 22, 2012, 05:09:36 PM
Aye Calum and there is no way of avoiding  that river crossing either. :lol:   It's been 25 years since I was last there, I guess like everywhere else it will be a tad busier now than it was back then. Week days only I think! Have you fished the loch?

Aye a few times Fred.  Plenty of wee ones.I wouldn't worry about weekend visits either.  The place is so remote, I have only once shared it with someone and that was a friend who I met there by chance.  A great place  :)

Wildfisher

I have heard there are some nice fish in the corrie lochan 200M higher up at about 3KM to the east.   :8)

Go To Front Page