News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What is it?

Started by Wildfisher, January 31, 2013, 03:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopper

Sorry Barfly you don't have the right to stop and pick up the road kill you have just hit that pleasure belongs to the car behind you, I do enjoy pheasant  :lol: :lol:

hopper

We have a grumpy keeper round  here and like to remember you of the laws of road kill. I'm not for a good boning so will just drive past, you can turn round and pick it up.  :lol:

hopper

Its a bit like that here every Wednesday and Saturday blasting going on all over the place.

Billy

Down my way at the weekend you can hear blasting in the distance. Not sure if it is for birds all the time as the clay pidgeon shooting centre is not far away.

I have always wanted to know how to clean a bird. Pheasants are good but I think wood pidgeon is better. One day I'll get to watch it getting done and give it a go myself.

I used to clean rabbits when I was young as I used to go ferreting with my mate and his father. Smelly but its nothing compared to hare. Hare is good eating but I thought I was going to pass out the first I cleaned one of them.

Billy

Part-time

Quote from: Billy on February 01, 2013, 09:42:07 AM
I have always wanted to know how to clean a bird. Pheasants are good but I think wood pidgeon is better. One day I'll get to watch it getting done and give it a go myself.

I usually cheat and just skin the bird. Pinch enough feathers from the breast to expose a wee bit of skin, make a small cut in the skin with a knife then, with your fingers, pull the cut open and peel back the skin just like you used to skinning a rabbit. You then cut off the breasts with a knife. No messing about in the guts required. You can use the same skinning process to get the legs but I wouldn't bother for a wood pigeons wee legs.

If you want to roast the bird and keep the skin on there's no way round plucking and cleaning it. Cleaning is just the reverse of stuffing an oven ready bird from the supermarket; make a cut where you see the opening on an oven ready and pull all the guts out with your fingers then wash out under a tap if you want. Heavy duty scissors will cut off the feet, wings and head.   

Bon appetit :)

burnie

Quote from: Part-time on February 02, 2013, 10:27:30 AM
I usually cheat and just skin the bird. Pinch enough feathers from the breast to expose a wee bit of skin, make a small cut in the skin with a knife then, with your fingers, pull the cut open and peel back the skin just like you used to skinning a rabbit. You then cut off the breasts with a knife. No messing about in the guts required. You can use the same skinning process to get the legs but I wouldn't bother for a wood pigeons wee legs.

If you want to roast the bird and keep the skin on there's no way round plucking and cleaning it. Cleaning is just the reverse of stuffing an oven ready bird from the supermarket; make a cut where you see the opening on an oven ready and pull all the guts out with your fingers then wash out under a tap if you want. Heavy duty scissors will cut off the feet, wings and head.   

Bon appetit :)

That's what I was told with smaller birds like pigeon and even Partridge,slit open the chest,push the breast fillets out with your thumbs and use the rest for breeding your own maggots(unless like me your wife finds out and bans you)

Allan Crawford

Quote from: burnie on February 03, 2013, 11:05:25 PM
for breeding your own maggots(unless like me your wife finds out and bans you)

LOL, I had an accident with maggots once, that helped seal my fate as a fly fisher  :)

Go To Front Page