News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Congratulations Fergie

Started by trout n about, February 08, 2013, 02:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan Crawford

Well done, I missed the article, when at work its the only bit of the papers I read for the week !

Traditionalist

Quote from: Alan on February 10, 2013, 07:06:10 PM
that article suggests catch and release might be a more sensible option, with numbers low why are they in supermarkets??

Because the supermarkets can make money on them, among many others. Very few anglers fish for money, or for subsistence, most fish for sport and so don't mind returning the fish.  It is not really considered a commodity as such by most anglers.  To the fishing and food industry that's basically all it is.

fergie

Id hate to see a wonderfull creature like that killed .C&R all the way. :D

Traditionalist

Indeed, it is now forbidden to retain common skate in all EU waters, and it is on the prohibited list.

http://www.fishonline.org/fish/skate-common-9

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0038/00389461.doc

Buanán

A good "barn door" there Fergie

Wildfisher

Peppo's chipper in Arbroath probably accounted for a few. They did a magnificent skate supper.   :lol:

Tweed

Beautiful creature that.  The fish that is!

Do they go back okay after capture? I know they tag a few - do they ever turn up again?

Andy

fergie

They go back fine there's been numerous tagging programs over the years Too many according to Ronnie hes refusing to do anymore as the tags were being handed out to just about anyone who showed a interest.Ronnie was catching skate with wrongly fitted tags and showing signs of mishandling it seemed there was so many tags there was no coordination  in the programs.

Tweed

Cheers for the response.  Fascinating stuff.

Go To Front Page