News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

More Cairngorm Deaths

Started by Wildfisher, February 15, 2013, 09:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

"Life involves risk" - absolutely true and the avalanche deaths are often just "wrong place at the wrong time" - unless the risk level is Cat5 and folks have paid no heed to route selection. I am more concerned that the navigation message is not getting through in that there are many "lost' groups who had no navigational skills and not even maps and a compass. That is avoidable risk and simple common sense. At least it always was previously.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Quote from: Bobfly on February 17, 2013, 02:55:56 PM
I am more concerned that the navigation message is not getting through in that there are many "lost' groups who had no navigational skills and not even maps and a compass. That is avoidable risk and simple common sense.

Never a truer word posted!  I never attended a mountaineering  course in my life, but I did make sure I learned to read a map and use a compass before ever setting foot on the hill. Back then GPS stood for Geeza  Pinta Super-lager and a phone was a large black hunk of Bakelite tethered to mother earth  by heavy  cable, so you had no choice.

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on February 17, 2013, 04:11:05 PM
We could be having the same conversation about  five deaths  in recent years around Loch Awe?

We could, but it seems from info. available that most of those were down to mixing drink with boats. I guess though that to some extent that's the fishing equivalent of no map and compass.

Inchlaggan

Did my SMLTB Summer and Winter Certificates way back when- it impressed the knickers off a small number of female PhD students at my place of work back in the days- not sure how much I remember now. One thing I do remember was going to do Anoach Eagach from Am Bodach in winter for my "exam" , instructor gave me the proposed route , forecasts etc. and asked me to start off. I took a couple of paces and he called me back- "No point in going any further  pal, you've failed, conditions are against that route today." I argued that half a dozen or so other walkers had set off up the hill after talking to him in the time we had been there. He replied that he had told them to to do Am Bodach alone and not attempt the ridge, but worried that some would try.  Knowing when not to go was the most important lesson. Back to the hotel and a little "afternoon delight" with one of the above students, just settling down for an evening session in the bar when the instructor popped in with the forecast for the next day. What did I think? I reckoned it would be OK to do the route, he agreed. So early to bed and a long time rehearsing all the waypoints. Instructor Bastard reversed the route in the morning and started me from Clachaig, I passed though!
A wee frost this morning, 15 degrees C now, plenty of walkers' cars down the glen this morning, doubtless on the basis of a good forecast. I always worry how many will walk "the route from the book" rather than make a decision based on conditions, forecast and warnings. Police car and ambulance down the glen an hour ago, plus the sound of a helicopter overhead. I just hope I will not be posting in a "Glen Garry Avalanche" thread tomorrow.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

corsican dave

in the shop yesterday: " so is the path to lurchers signposted?" 

or how about this one, at the gate by the achintee inn last year: "where's the path to ben nevis, mate?"

it used to be amusing, and occasionally a little sad. now it's everyday and, to be honest, infuriating.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

I too find it both infuriating and, at times, just plain stupid. Over the last twenty years I have helped put over £200,000 into to the costs of mountain safety courses for navigation, avalanche safety and mountain first aid. We aim particularly at student clubs or any members of the MCofS. You go out on the hills at any time you take a map and compass and know how to use them. In the winter you add an ice axe and a pair of crampons and spare clothing. Helping folks who have had bad luck or whatever is one thing but some groups seem to have barely a bit of common sense between them which seems remarkable when there is so much information available nowadays and far far more than in years gone by.

Bobfly

Interesting article here from Heavy Whalley about this year's and recent years' accidents, and media frenzy commentaries.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=5258

Go To Front Page