News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Butterstone Bashery Chapped

Started by Wildfisher, February 16, 2013, 08:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Malcolm on February 20, 2013, 12:43:08 AM
I am pretty sure the fish had some sort of infestation too (Argulus?).

I heard that too, but it is unverified and therefore should be treated with caution. There may be a lot more Arguluse going around than is admitted.

Otter Spotter

Not sure that Argulus was the culprit in this case. They did seem to be having problems with the water quality but I think this was down to weather conditions and overstocking, which they were slated for a year or 2 back - a literal stew pond.
I havent fished it for years, it was the worst kind of club outing water and one of the noisiest I had ever been to. The best thing about it was the ospreys but you can see them just about anywhere these days.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

scotgillespie

Argulus is commonly in the background everywhere; affect one area of the bio-load get a bigger swing response in the other end of the bio-load. Then everything swings about like a wobbling jelly till a new balance is found. New balance could be perfect, or it could just as well be a stank.

Wildfisher

Spot on Scot. In a natural environment it seldom causes problems. 

Allan Crawford

If they stop stocking rainbows then it wont be so well known for pike anymore, never fished it !

Wildfisher

It's a shame to see anyone lose their job, but other than that I can't see what all the fuss is about. Another retail outlet for farmed fish closes. There are 100s of them, selling sterile rainbows and fake browns so what?  :roll:

auchendennan

Worrying thing for local fisheries is the cormorants will move on

scotgillespie

Rainbows by there nature (and reinforced by growing up in stock tanks) are meals on wheels for Cormorants. The stockies will shoal by them at regular intervals as they hunt in regular patterns, all the Cormorants need to do is sit and wait for the next serving too come along. Shockeroonie; an analogy between stockiebashers and cormorants.

This isn't a behavior expressed in any native fish, so the theory goes; no stockies, no cormorants.

Pike levels post stockies, that is more of a problem - but that will just get me ranting like a ranting thing...

Highlander

Know the guy that owns it David Henry, has his fingers in a lot of pies.
Cardney Estate one of them. Took a stake in Nardini in Largs after the family had a fall out. Also turned around an estate down that way. Kelburn I believe. Was CEO of the Co-Op funeral services the largest in the UK. Bought Butterstone 3/4 years ago & built a large café/bistro. Also part owned the tackle & gun shop in Perth, Henry Ramsey Willcox. Butterstone was a popular destination for the Bow people but you are right prices went up & up. Can not understand though why the whole estate is up for sale as I believe it was a good profit making one. The loch on the estate Cardeny is full of giant Trout. I used to get a day or two on it with a friend of the owner. There were Trout in it both Brown & Rainbow up to 20lbs, though I never caught them that big I had some to double figures. Some years ago they stocked it with farmed Salmon & you could pay to catch them though it never caught on & passed away.
Strange one
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page