News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Summer Is Definitely On Its Way

Started by Wildfisher, March 03, 2013, 09:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buanán

The old boys round here have it that your wasting you time with the lochs when there's still snow on the Cailliach, just peeked out the kitchen window, and it's still there, bits of her white plaid laid out to dry. But, there's 10 days to go yet. 

Guddler

The past week has been really mild and tonight could almost have passed for a summer's evening, but it looks like it's all going to change tomorrow. A couple of days of gales forecast then it's going to get chilly.....

[attachimg=1]

Otter Spotter

Quote from: Buanán on March 05, 2013, 06:14:22 PM
The old boys round here have it that your wasting you time with the lochs when there's still snow on the Cailliach, just peeked out the kitchen window, and it's still there, bits of her white plaid laid out to dry. But, there's 10 days to go yet.

A loch Tony  I have been sussing out for a potential opening weekend jaunt comes with the same warning. The loch is low lying but if there is snow on the hill...
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Buanán

Quote from: Otter Spotter on March 06, 2013, 09:41:58 AM
A loch Tony  I have been sussing out for a potential opening weekend jaunt comes with the same warning. The loch is low lying but if there is snow on the hill...

Worth heeding in my experience, last year my first lochan jaunt was fruitful despite being chased off the hill by snow driven on a cold NE wind. The water temp was well up on the air though, and, there was no snow on the hill opposite.

I was out for a look at the nearest burn and bay this morning, and it was perishingly cold, too cold and enough to temper my enthusiasm until things warm a bit. A little less snow on Ben a' Caillieach, than there was last time I could see it. So there's hope yet, as the forecast wind and rain may shift the last of it.

Inchlaggan

There can be snow in the corries opposite me until May!
A pied wagtail prospecting his usual nesting site this morning.
I too heed the advice of a very much wiser fisherman and await the return of the osprey in the next two - three weeks. For good fly hatches, the return of the swallows (third week of April onwards) is a good sign.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Buanán

Quote from: Inchlaggan on March 06, 2013, 12:45:29 PM
There can be snow in the corries opposite me until May!
A pied wagtail prospecting his usual nesting site this morning.
I too heed the advice of a very much wiser fisherman and await the return of the osprey in the next two - three weeks. For good fly hatches, the return of the swallows (third week of April onwards) is a good sign.

Aye Ken, but those corries opposite you have 500' to a 1000' on the old girl I mention, plus she's on an island thats more than a tad milder than the mainland, especially your rather tundral corner of it.

Osprey's and Swallows would be worth the watching, thats a good tip that. With us it's incremental, as the season advances one heads up and eastwards for lochs. The low lochs of home and the isles are really the only viable waters locally, earlydoors. It can still frozen solid at bunloyne/Glenmorriston when the fishing starts for us.

Wildfisher

Big change here today, grey and cold. Forecast for the start of the season if not great either.  :(

Aye, it'll get worse afore it gets better.  :lol:

Go To Front Page