News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Con - Part 6

Started by otter, March 11, 2013, 02:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otter

'Maggie, that was the finest Sunday dinner I have had in years. If I knew that Thai Curry's were as tasty as that I would have asked the Bishop for a transfer to Thailand years ago. Well done and thanks'; said Father Brennan as Maggie started to clear away the dishes.
'
You are very welcome Father, a bit of Mexican tomorrow perhaps '; Maggie beamed from the praise, praise she was not used to receiving.

Father Brennan, as was his custom on a Sunday afternoon lay on the couch watching the football. If the Bishop knew that he had Sky sports he would have had some explaining to do and even more explaining if he found out that Father Brennan had fifty euros on a draw in this match.

At half time, the score was one all and a very pleased old priest took advantage of his position. ' Our Father who art in heaven, I do not mind if United score eleven. Holy Mary full of grace, please make sure Liverpool draw this race. Amen.' Having made his prayer and sure that it would be answered he lifted his phone and dialled a number that he had not called in many a long year.

'Hugh, Father Brennan here, it's been a while since we had a chat'
'
Jesus Father, J.P. , I thought you had drowned, I haven't seen you near the river in years, not since you foul hooked that huge trout.'

'Foul hooked my ar.se' said Father Brennan; ' Fair and square on my grandfather's size 12 GRHE, as you well know , didn't you help me land it. Are you gone senile you old fool.'

'The wife says I am, the sons wish I was so they could rob all my money. No, the memory is as good as it ever was, the eyesight is a bit knackered even with the glasses. That was a great trout J.P., as wild as yourself.'

'Hugh , I want to go fishing next season, can you get me back into the club. How has the river been all these years ? Is she still producing those fine yellow bellied trout that would test the skill of any fly man.'

'I'll send you the form J.P. and no lies about your age when you fill it in. Aggh, Father, she is not as you remembered it. When Jimmy Egan's father Michael Egan got on the committee he convinced the member's that she should be stocked. As you well know if he fished every day of the season he could not catch anything but a tiddler and the rest of the committee were not much better. A few of us protested the daftness but the year after you left the stocking started and has been going on every year since. Every year, five times a year, they put in thousands of the docile creatures, all between one and two pounds weight. I only fish once or twice a year now, sure what's the point, there is no challenge.'; Hugh was almost crying at the end of the phone.

Father Brennan was gobsmacked; 'God almighty Hugh, that's the daftest thing I have ever heard. I hear that Jimmy Egan wins most of the competitions with big wild trout, so there must be a few left in it.'

'Jimmy, he wins a good few Father, but..., I suppose they are wild fish Father that he catches, I suppose they must be. All the stocked fish have the top tip of their tails cut off and the big ones he weighs in are fin perfect and much heavier than anything that is stocked..but.....'

Father Brennan smelled a rat; 'Is that so Hugh, stocked trout. Who looks after the stocking ?'

'Jimmy does Father and he even pays for the trout himself. He built a big tank at the back of his house and keeps them in it until he stocks them every few weeks.'

Father Brennan jumped to his feet and paced around the room. 'Good man Hugh, it's nice to know that the son is a far better angler than the father. A generous man as well, looking after the stocking and all the cost that entails, a fine man indeed. I must have a day on the river with him and next season Hugh, me and you will wet a line a few times, God willing. Talk to you soon Hugh'; Father Brennan wrung his hands in sheer joy. You did not need to be a
Sherlock Holmes to figure out what the basterd Egan was up to.

Father Brennan glanced at the television, 2-1 to united. Raising his eyes to heaven;'Father why have you forsaken me, in my hour of need.'

A penalty to Liverpool in injury time, up steps Gerrard, Goaaaaaaaaaal , Liverpool 2 – Man U 2, €300 due from the bookies for the back pocket. 'Amen'

to be continued, maybe :) god willing that is.

scotgillespie

Pray continue; or condemn us to penance of boiled cabbage...

Go To Front Page