News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Top or bottom

Started by Vintage fly, March 23, 2013, 02:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage fly

Hi guys

I've been a floating line user all my fishing days , seein a trout rise and take one of ur own home tied flies is a great feeling, a lot of my friends have started using the sinking line with mini lures for wild browns and have a lot of success,no matter how many times I try this method whether I'm catching or not I don't seem to enjoy it as much. I no times are changing and as far as I can make out top of the water sport isn't near as good as it once was but is it worth losing some of ur enjoyment for the chance to possibly catch a few more fish. :)

Fishtales

I fish floating line all the time. Just make the cast longer and put a wet fly, nymph or small lure on the tail and let it sink before slowly retrieving :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

There is not point in using a method you don't enjoy. Fishing is about enjoying the experience. If you lose that there is no point in it.

garryh

in my experience it is usually daphnia feeders that mini lures work on and then only on days when the daphnia is at depth.these fish tend to be cruising at the depth of the daphnia and are preoccupied and not looking to the surface so you have to go down to them.there are minor exceptions like fry.i stopped using mini lures a few years back and i reckon i catch more on the surface than i did at depth ,i certainly enjoy it more.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Hill loch gold

I think 99% of fly fishers, like nothing better than fishing a floating line as much as possible. After all it's the most exciting and enjoyable way to catch troot, but sometimes the fish just aren't on the top and if you want some sport, you need to go down a bit to get it.

As fishtales said, you can just make the cast a bit longer and put a small goldhead nymph or lure on the tail, to get down a bit. This is alright if your fishing from the bank, but if your out in the boat in a good wave, you need hiD lines to get doon to the fish. If you were fishing the floating line, goldhead tactic, from the boat in windy conditions, you would have to put out a very long line to allow your flies to get any depth. (You wouldn't have time to let your flies sink fishing a short line, the boat would drift over your line).

Sometimes its needs must and can be the difference between a good days fishing and poor days fishing, because you are unwilling to change your tactics to suit the conditions.

Alan :D

Part-time

Agree that it's down to your own enjoyment whatever method you fish. I pretty much fish floating line all season on the lochs and no doubt some days I'll get less success because of it but so long as I'm happy no problem. I mostly fish from the bank and anytime I need a bit of depth I always have a few leaded shrimp flies that I can tie on the point and I've seen folk do similar on rivers. If I'm out in a boat I usually have a few sinking lines as I think it can make more difference especially if you are drifting fast.

Allan Crawford

I always fish a floater from the boat and think its the most successful method, I've yet to do any better with a sinking line, maybe its just I canny use one  :roll:

Hill loch gold

I've seen me catching well into double figures on sinking lines, when my boat partners have persevered with the floater and have struggled to get a fish or 2, this has happened on more than 1 occasion.

Different days, weather conditions etc, can dictate what line is best fished on that given day :D

burnie

I use floater/sinktip(worn out old floater)for all my river fishing, but use sinking lines on stillwaters.I get on very well with my Spey line with inter changeable tips when Salmon fishing and wonder if they ought to make them in lighter trout weights.

Highlander

Much preferring "The Floating Line" I do carry a small wallet with various braided  leaders in different weights & sinking depths This gives me a nice choice if I indeed want to fish a "sinking line". Not as good as a selection of spare spools & lines but ever so lighter.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page