News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Top or bottom

Started by Vintage fly, March 23, 2013, 02:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill loch gold

I have a cunning plan to unlock the deeps of the salmon and sea trout lochs out here with a sinker from the boat. Nobody tries it as far as I can tell. I reckon I'll triple the estate salmon catch this year

I've always dreamed about fishing for salmon from a boat, with the troot rod and muddlers :D
Be sure to keep us posted.  Hope your successful :D

haresear

Quotes fishtales said, you can just make the cast a bit longer and put a small goldhead nymph or lure on the tail, to get down a bit. This is alright if your fishing from the bank, but if your out in the boat in a good wave, you need hiD lines to get doon to the fish. If you were fishing the floating line, goldhead tactic, from the boat in windy conditions, you would have to put out a very long line to allow your flies to get any depth. (You wouldn't have time to let your flies sink fishing a short line, the boat would drift over your line).

Sometimes its needs must and can be the difference between a good days fishing and poor days fishing, because you are unwilling to change your tactics to suit the conditions.

I agree with that.

Apart from the drifting boat scenario, sometimes (even from the bank)  you need to take that bow out of the line to get that wee bit deeper. I like an intermediate for that, as it casts almost as nicely as a floater and will go as deep as you want if you give enough time.

Another situation I use a sinker - and a fast one - is on rivers using streamers in big water.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Allan Crawford

Quote from: Roobarb on March 24, 2013, 12:03:11 AM
I have a cunning plan to unlock the deeps of the salmon and sea trout lochs out here with a sinker from the boat. Nobody tries it as far as I can tell. I reckon I'll triple the estate salmon catch this year :roll:

Andy

I've hear its worth a try for seatrout, never had a chance to give it a go, but I dont think it would be good for salmon as they lie in shallow water. When trolling for salmon my baits are only 2/3ft down and I'm hugging the shore.

On the river I like to get the fly down a bit and often use multi tips.

Wildfisher

Quote from: BARFLY on March 24, 2013, 09:03:20 AM
I assume on a big River and using streamers, it`d be fished with a short leader?

Spot on -  this allows you to use a lighter / buoyant  fly that is much easier to cast. It can be very effective although I have had less success with it on our home rivers than I have  had in NZ.

Allan Crawford

Quote from: Roobarb on March 24, 2013, 09:14:36 AM
To be honest I know less than nothing about salmon in lochs

Andy
Hi Andy
Your in a good place now to learn about salmon in lochs, I'll look forward to hearing how you get on!
A booby is a good pattern to try while using a floating line.

haresear

Quote from: BARFLY on March 24, 2013, 09:03:20 AM
I`ve got a fast sinker that I`ve never used. I assume on a big River and using streamers, it`d be fished with a short leader?

That's right Barfly. If I think the river is running fast enough, I'll go to a bomb of a line, but mostly the fast sinktip (Cortland 333) is my choice. I will usually use a very short leader of only 3 feet or so with that to ensue the fly gets down fast.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page