News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Drogues

Started by Hill loch gold, March 25, 2013, 09:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill loch gold

I lost my drogue towards the end of last season and am now on the hunt for a new 1. I've seen wcyhwood competition drogues with clamps and was wondering if any of the forum members owned, or had tried 1 of these and if they preferred them over standard drogues? :D

Cheers
Alan :D

alancrob

Never used a drogue but saw a Matt Hayes programme last week where he had clamp on ones and they seemed to work fine.

A.

Billy

I used my Wychwood at carron valley reservoir last weekend but it does not have clamps. I just tied mine to the posts under the seat.

I would be a little wary about the clamps as my drogue was under pretty severe strain during the day and I think the clamps would be an extra week link. Could not have fished without it though considering the weather.

Billy

Otter Spotter

The Greys platinum is a fantastic drogue. I've been using mine for 5 seasons now and its as good as new. Doesnt have the clamps but I have seen folks out on Leven with them I dont think the clamps hold too well in a hoolie.
The platinum has metal clips that fit nicely over the rollocks never had an issue with them giving
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Allan Crawford

Considering the weather I surprised you could fish at all !

I have a parachute drogue, quick to pull in at end of drift.

Vintage fly

I can't say whether the clamps are any good in a strong wind, but there purpose is so u can move the drogue position easily n therefore change the way u drift. The clamps would come in handy on some of the smaller boats on the lochs we fish .

It better heat up a bit soon so we can get oot on a boat to try it this sittin in the hoose et the weekend would burst ye :cheers;

Hill loch gold

I would be a little wary about the clamps as my drogue was under pretty severe strain during the day and I think the clamps would be an extra week link. Could not have fished without it though considering the weather.

Thats what i was wondering ie, would the clamps hold up in a very strong wind, or if you were fishing a shallow loch and the drogue got caught up in thick weeds? (I lost my last drogue on a shallow weedy loch up north) :(

Thanks for your input on the greys platinum drogue otter spotter :D
I'll have a look at them on-line and may well go down that road.

Cheers
Alan :D

13Fisher1

I have used the Wychwood para drogues for years, no clamps, easy to collapse and pull in usually.
Like the carbine idea and float maybe try that.

hopper

I always tie my drogue under the seats in the boats, a couple of years ago watched a fellow angler in a competition tighten up the g clamp so tight he crushed the fiber glass on the side of the boat didn't seem to bother him

Hill loch gold

I use a stainless caribiner to attach my drogue and have a hi viz trawl float  fitted half way along the rope.   No knots or clamps to fanny about with  and if I do lose the drogue over the side I can easily locate it and it won't sink. Works for me

I like this idea as well.  Good thinking!! :)

Go To Front Page