News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Cleaning fly lines

Started by Hill loch gold, March 30, 2013, 06:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill loch gold

How often should you clean your fly lines, if your fishing every other wknd during the season?
Whats the best method for cleaning your lines?

Alan :D

Vintage fly

Il clean mine tomorrow in the loch Alan n itl get a good stretch when I hook one of these big boys. Toprod will just need to wash n stretch his in the hoose I doubt heel get much action the morn. Haha :two;

hopper

I have only ever cleaned one of my fly lines and it never fished the same again so don't bother

Highlander

Used to clean my lines every close season. Getting lazy so other than if I get scum & more importantly grit on them I seldom clean just laziness on my part now.
A wash in warm soapy water ( not a harsh detergent) fairly liquid will do & dry with a cloth not one of these "yellow dusters" a cut up cotton towel is fine.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Toprod

Vintage fly the only thing u will catch is the col, I'm not known as toprod for nothing, no doubt most of my day on the loch tomorrow will be spent giving u advise. U know the score anyway with me when it comes to fishing you'll be eating your words once again hahaha

13Fisher1

Used to clean each line at nod of season with a waxy/oily fly line cleaner/restorer called perma plas or something like that, but think with modern lines just once a year in soapy water would suffice!

Hill loch gold

In all my years of fishing, I've never cleaned any of my fly lines before and there's no excuse for it, it's just pure laziness!!

Anyway I've been sorting all my stuff out today, for when my season finally gets underway and this is when "cleaning my lines" came into my head. Just shows u how scunnered I am, waiting for this cold weather to get to f#=!   

Surely if you give your lines a wee clean every now and then, they should last a bit longer. :D

east wind

I clean them when I think they need it, that can be every couple of outings depending where I am or not at all. The line itself lets me know through sound and feel as it passes through the rings.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

I clean my floating lines now and then with warm soapy water, then with clean water,  dry them by pulling  through a cloth then coat them with Snowbee line slick. Sounds a lot of work, but it's not if you get one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Line-Winder-Fishing-Line-Winder-Fly-Line-Mono-/370553275976?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item5646b24648

I am in no doubt it makes a big difference to how well the line shoots.

haresear

i don't clean them as often as I should, but what I would say is to avoid those yellow dusters or other lint traps when drying the line off. One of these microfibre cloths or a chamois is much better.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page