News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Might Be Getting.....

Started by JIMCCS, April 21, 2013, 07:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIMCCS

.....a Canadian canoe. So how do you boys that`ve got them, get on with them?

sinbad

They are great , i love mine. Give yourself time 1st couple of days out will be a wee bit wobbly but you'll soon be comfortable . "Song of the paddle " is a great forum full of helpful info and i highly recommend it for anyone interested in an open canoe.  Ian
PS do you know which make/model ? Some are more suited to beginners than others.

corsican dave

Jim, give us a shout when you've got it and we'll hook up to give you a few pointers  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

sinbad

Also google "Bill Mason" Jim. He made some great informative films.
Mmm.. canoe stravaig that could be a cracker.   

corsican dave

true Jim, they do take a bit of practice. i had to do a bit of stretching (and check with my surgeon!) before i got to grips with the kneeling. plus i had to play around a bit with the seat height so it was just right to rest my bum cheeks against for longer paddles. kneeling is definitely the way forward, and i can now manage a good hour or two of steady paddling.

paddling is a bit of an art, although (as with casting) there's a lot of people who make it sound far more complicated than it has to be...  :roll: getting a good "j" stroke is the basis for making good solo progress, that and trimming the boat (ie where you position yourself fore/aft and which side). it's just a matter of practice! i'm lucky in that i can grab an hour or so straight after work on either loch morlich or the spey, so last year was just clocking up the hours and the miles at every opportunity.

as i said, it's probably easier learning from someone else, so drop me a line when you're ready and we'll get together for a paddle.

ps probably best to do some still-water stuff before throwing yourself down the tay!!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

corsican dave

WATERWALKER

pour youself a (very large, preferably :8)) beer and settle back for an hour and a half of sheer inspirational pleasure.......

Allan Crawford

Quote from: corsican dave on April 22, 2013, 08:35:22 PM
paddling is a bit of an art

And a very enjoyable one too  :D
Some good advice on the last couple of posts.

Bobfly

Does anyone have any experience of the wide set NuCanoe type of hull ? This is meant to have great stability for fishing from and seems not to weigh too much.

http://www.nucanoe.com/
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Allan Crawford

Quote from: Bobfly on April 23, 2013, 01:01:55 PM
Does anyone have any experience of the wide set NuCanoe type of hull ? This is meant to have great stability for fishing from and seems not to weigh too much.

http://www.nucanoe.com/

This looks more like a sit on top kayak, or a cross breed, interesting  :?

Bobfly

It seems to be a cross breed with a large shallow capacity inside unlike a thin sit-on and with good breadth for stability.
Potentially has quite a few advantages .......... especially if you stay dry !!!!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page